Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Generators/House hook up/ Boilers  (Read 4294 times)

slosh250

• View Profile
Generators/House hook up/ Boilers
« on: February 19, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »

Just looking for a little input on a good generator and how everyone hooks them up to their systems to stay warm during a power outage. Have always used briggs but i know honda's are good motors too.I know i can have power company install quick disconnect to hook a generator to but i have to buy the stainless box 400 bucks. Just a post for people to share their setups and ideas....

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
Re: Generators/House hook up/ Boilers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »

I had room in my breaker box to put in a 220V 40A breaker.  Attached a 50' length of 8 ga. 4 conductor and put a plug that fits the 220 outlet on my generator on the end.

I kill the main breaker on top of my breaker box and the main breaker in my meter loop when using the generator for double isolation from backfeed.

We were out of grid juice for 14 days in the ice storm of 07, it worked great.

Got another ice storm predicted for tomorrow night so we may get another chance to use it again.
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

birchbark

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:30:28 PM »

The best and safest way would be to buy a manual transfer switch.  Just google it and you should find lots of different makes.  By using on of these, there is no way to accidently back feed into the grid or accidently feed into your generator from your panel.  As for a generator, both Honda and Yamaha make nice inverter styles.  You can also purchase a remote start kit for these, so if you do lose power, just start it up from inside, go and transfer your switch, and you got lights, power for pumps and what ever else is needed, depending on the size of generator you get.  Then just wait for utility power to be restored, transfer back, and remotely shut off the generator.

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »

I  have it set up similar to WoodMOJoe. I have a generator/dust collector/air-compressor shed outside my shop, after I shut off the main power supply and shut off all the breakers. I just plug the generator into the 40 amp feed coming from the shop breaker panel then turn on a few of  the most important ones. A transfer switch is the better option but cost wise a 40 dollar plug and cord combo cant be beat. Just have the neighbors call when the power is back on. I bought a slightly used coleman generator cleaned it up and works great and saved me 500 bucks. It can run my water pump, heating system pumps and freezer with no problems.

oldchenowth

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 05:51:39 AM »

I use a Briggs.  I have no complaints what so ever.  6500 watt electric start runs the whole house except water heater (in summer) and oven.  All freezers, tv, lights, fridge... no troubles.  $400 at Menards was way easier than $3000 for a Honda, as much use as it is going to get.  I'm all for better quality, as long as I can afford it.

What I did instead of the neighbors telling me power is back, is hook a light to the meter side of the main, so when power is back the light turns on. 

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »

more lasw broke in this forum than you can cut with a chainsaw :bag:
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Sdh1218

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 03:51:01 PM »

Do a Internet search for the model of your service panel and see if they make a generator disconnect for it. There about $50. It makes it impossible for the main power breaker and the back feed breaker to be on at the same time. And is legal in most states. Then you put a generator hook up box outside and wire the box to the breaker and connect your generator to the hook up box. The best part about this set up is the whole breaker box has power so you can pick and choose what you need power to, when you have a transfer switch you have to choose the circuits you want powered when you install it and you may find you need some thing else.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-PB30-Generator-Generators/dp/B000BQT47S
Outside box

http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Electrical%20Distribution/Load%20Centers/Accessories-QO-LK-PK-QO-QON/40273-809-02.pdf
A good look at the interlock

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »

not saying this kindof thing isn't done a lot, but if the electrical inspector was on his way home in a power outage and seen your lights on and he decided to stop in check you out, and found you backfeeding with your generator say...into your electrical dryer's 220 outlet,  he may take your saw and cut down your electrical service :o
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

Just bought a Generac GP 6500 for $800.00 bran new..I did my home work with these..My owb is hook up to my electric panel just like anything else in my house.. All you got to do is have it hooked up to your gentran.. then you got power to it..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »

I use a transfer switch it has like 10 circuits,  the owf, indoor boiler, air handler, microwave, well pump, master suit, living room tv.
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »

many folks here in my part of ontario (where we have frequent power interuptions in the winter) have 2 panels with a "three way switch" between the panels. everything they wish to run in a power outage with a small generator is on this second panel. when power goes out from the utility they fire up the generator and throw the switch....now the first panel is still hooked to the provider and the "switch" disconnects the second panel and ties it to the genertor. the generator provides power to the"needed appliances" and with the first panel still being tied to the grid, when the power comes back on you will know...just  go down and throw the switch and your second panel is back on the grid.

some others (int he country) have a generator big enough to run everything and power it with a PTO from their tractor or you can buy a stand alone generator also
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 03:45:28 AM »

A generator is like insurance when you need it, its there.
installed in 2014