Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bad aqua stat?  (Read 2347 times)

Uponthehill

• OWF Brand: PM 2840 w/ Logstor
  • OWF Model: 250 & 461 Stihl
    • View Profile
Bad aqua stat?
« on: December 03, 2014, 04:59:12 AM »

This morning I got up and the aquastat read 212°  Blower was not running, water temperature was 100°.  Water level was ok. Any ideas?
Central Kentucky wood burner !

Uponthehill

• View Profile
Re: Bad aqua stat?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:10:30 AM »

There was still plenty of wood in the stove. I'm going to try and turn off power to maybe "reset" ?

Uponthehill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:19:12 AM »

Did not "reset". I'm going to try and find one today during lunch. Hopefully that will fix.  Other comments appreciated.

Uponthehill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »

Bad temp probe. Showed open with ohm meter / no resistance. A419 stuck @ 212F.  Bypassed A419 as directed by factory. Mechanical aquastat will not turn fan on unless I turn past 220F. Not going to do that. Down until replacement A419 and temp probe arrive from factory. No one in town has an A419. Only "similar" aqua stats. I will substitute in place of A419 tomorrow. KEEP SPARE PARTS!  Lessened learned. However, I know things fail, but really?  Both A419 and temp probe ...   I'm done now.

cando attitude

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »

Sorry to hear that UPonthehill.  Let us know how you make out with this repair.  For each of us that have not experienced a breakdown yet, it's coming.  Let's learn from each other.
Producing a little smoke, here in  South Central Ohio....
Echo CS 400
Jonsered 2255
Case 35B
Dirty hands splitter
2013 3500 Duramax

Uponthehill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 08:43:34 PM »

Ok. My mistake. Learned from this one. Long story short...  My 3 week old Wilo pump locked up, I guess caused an overheat and the aquastat was doing what it's paid to do. Here's what I don't understand,... Why did the temp probe read open?  If the temp is high, would this be considered normal?  I think the A419 displays ~5' higher temp than actual. The reason that the fan would not previously come on unless mech stat was turned past 220 was that the water was very hot. The local supplier I got the pump from did warranty the pump. I'll probably not purchase a Wilo pump again, but now I'm wandering if this shop loop should have a stainless or bronze pump due to being an open loop ??  I've talked to several local OWB owners close proximity to me and they all run cast pumps. Maybe it's just my luck. I owe PM for an A419 and sensor when it arrives, but at least I'll have spare. Thanks to Rory @ P&M for the assist on this one.  I will say, the 2840 held heat for an amazing 3 days with no blower. Water temp never got below 120'F.  Stay warm....