Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Lessons learned or tips/advice on best location for boiler  (Read 1974 times)

vogelkj2001

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
Lessons learned or tips/advice on best location for boiler
« on: September 04, 2015, 08:22:15 PM »

New outdoor boiler owner here.  Portage & Main BL3444.  The  House excavation just started so its a clean slate to work with.  Looking for tips, advice, lessons learned from the group on the best location to place my boiler.
For example :
How far from the house ?
Proximity to wood supply ?
Direction to face the door ?
How much cleared area around the unit ?
Concrete pad or just 4 blocks ?
or anything else you might think is valuable.

I guess the one thing I know is I will be placing it downwind from the house.  I have talked to my insurance co and they said that there are no restriction on distance from house for a wood boiler.

Thanks
Kelly

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Lessons learned or tips/advice on best location for boiler
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 06:42:14 AM »

Do you get lots of snow, keep the boiler easily accessible all winter! Put good pipe in before pouring a pad.
I use a 10 foot stick with about 8 feet of flagging tape to find wind direction, put the stick in the ground with the tape tied to the top, this will tell you the actual wind currents near your buildings or tree line.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »

Put it at least 50-75 feet away from the house and right next to your wood supply.  Just my opinion!

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 06:03:41 AM »

Definitely pour a pad and add much more space to the front of it so you are not standing in mud when the thaw starts or are tripping on the edge of it when loading or cleaning the furnace.
 Also do you plan on heating another building or maybe a pool? Place the furnace in a location best suited for wind direction and proximity to wood pile but also think of future needs.

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »

For placement, You'll be loading it several times a day in all kinds of weather so I'd keep it convienent. If your in the open, try to place the door so prevailing winds keep the smoke away when loading. You'll want your wood pile close and consider any future buildings. My insurance co. happens to have a 50' minimum setback so that may be something to keep in mind if your company ever changed its underwriting, or if you ever want to switch companies.

A concrete pad is the best way to go. If you have it poured when the concrete crew is there doing your basement floor, the cost will be very little.  As stated by crow, make the pad big enough for a loading area and you'll stay out of the mud during spring and fall.
Also, spend the money now and get good underground piping. If your in heavy or wet soils, something like thermopex holds up well.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota