Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Used fire place for first time in 15 years  (Read 4404 times)

silver star

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Used fire place for first time in 15 years
« on: January 01, 2017, 01:25:51 PM »

We live pretty far away from any town (by local standards) so we invited neighbors who,like us generally have a quiet New Year eve.

I decided to get the fireplace going for the first time in forever, and it not only made a nice touch, provieded some nice warmth. Wife and I decided we will enjoy it on weekends.

Ebbie my wood cutting partner found a new spot to hang out.  She does a great job of fending off fox squirrels and chipmunks while I am occupied with equipment. She has a 100% success rate.
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
Re: Used fire place for first time in 15 years
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »

Nice...... nothing like man's best freind.
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 02:27:50 AM »

Reminds me of my Fathers old house and the fire place in the Den, plenty of Christmas time there. He had another fireplace right behind the wall in his living room that we never used. Good thing, the people who bought it years later had a fire in the wall from using both of them at once.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »

We have 5 fireplaces in our house. One of them has a bread oven built into the back. All of them were built in the 1800's. Unfortunately I had all the flues and chimneys inspected and they are all unusable. Too bad because I would love to sit by the fire at Christmas with a nice bourbon. Oh well just have to burn my wood outside where it's safe. This was actually what led us towards the OWB , as a wood stove was out without another chimney and we decided it was safer and more efficient to keep it all outside.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

silver star

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »

Oh yes Big Al.  I enjoyed a glass of Pappy Van Winkle which was a surprise gift. Locked in the gun vault til next year. 
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 11:23:36 PM »

Good job Ebbie!!!

BIG AL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 07:22:02 AM »

I'm a Bulliett fan myself. Have heard of Pappy Van Winkle never had to pleasure to sit with him though. Have to hint to my wife , she likes bourbon too.
SE Mass
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

silver star

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 07:55:17 PM »

I'm a Bulliett fan myself. Have heard of Pappy Van Winkle never had to pleasure to sit with him though. Have to hint to my wife , she likes bourbon too.

Yes i enjoy it as well.   Better do some reasearch on Pappy, and prepare for sticker shock. The empty bottles sell for more than most bourbons I buy.

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 04:18:33 AM »

Any one ever put a metal liner in their fireplace on the forum?
installed in 2014

BIG AL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 01:51:07 PM »

Yeah I am aware of the price tag :o Have to be a reallllllly good boy to get the wife to spring for that ;)
SE Mass

braveblaster

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »

We live pretty far away from any town (by local standards) so we invited neighbors who,like us generally have a quiet New Year eve.

I decided to get the fireplace going for the first time in forever, and it not only made a nice touch, provieded some nice warmth. Wife and I decided we will enjoy it on weekends.

Ebbie my wood cutting partner found a new spot to hang out.  She does a great job of fending off fox squirrels and chipmunks while I am occupied with equipment. She has a 100% success rate.
Nice!

I wish mine would work, anytime I fire the thing up, smoke is everywhere inside?

BIG AL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »

Sounds like a draft issue. Not to be funny but is your damper open all the way when you light it? Something make a home in your chimney? My dads smoke shelf in his fireplace isn't deep enough and you have to light some paper and stick it up the flue to get it to draft then it will draft fine.
SE Mass

braveblaster

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »

Sounds like a draft issue. Not to be funny but is your damper open all the way when you light it? Something make a home in your chimney? My dads smoke shelf in his fireplace isn't deep enough and you have to light some paper and stick it up the flue to get it to draft then it will draft fine.

Big AL,

Thanks! I've checked for the draft problems and yes the damper is open but still smokes a bunch. This chimney was for a one story ranch and made for a two story house (after addition to the old house) but the smoke has always been there even when the chimney was shorter. Very sad that I can not enjoy it as much as I like to mess wit wood, this is KILLING me!

silver star

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 11:02:21 PM »

Our weekend place is an aframe my grandfather built    The main room has a fireplace that covers most of the wall with field stone (or Brown County stone as we call it in this area).  It has vents to circulate air through the stone. When it is going well, the stone all heats up and warms the room. 

My father had it going all the time when he lived there.

We have a devil of a time getting it to operate on short visits. Sits below a 600 foot hill, so we think that contributes. I will birn some cardboard and paper to get the thing heated, but it is indeed a task. Smokes the place up at beginning of the fire.

BIG AL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »

Yeah no worries I was just thinking of the easy things it could be. You said it happened before the addition , could just be that the dim of the original design were a little off. My dad used to have to mess with his to make it work right , but then he and a friend built it when they built the house , pretty but not professional. He ended up putting a wood stove in the fireplace with an open front. Still looks nice and works way better.
SE Mass
Pages: [1] 2