Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Started the e-classic 1400 today  (Read 2229 times)

Ohiowood

• OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: E-classic1400
    • View Profile
Started the e-classic 1400 today
« on: October 26, 2012, 03:22:44 PM »

All good so far started it 4pm by 510pm the water temp was at 170  :) no smoke just heat vapor  :thumbup: got a love it. Temps in the 30s at night here in southern Ohio this week.

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
Re: Started the e-classic 1400 today
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:36:25 AM »

All good so far started it 4pm by 510pm the water temp was at 170  :) no smoke just heat vapor  :thumbup: got a love it. Temps in the 30s at night here in southern Ohio this week.

Hey Ohiowood.   Getting cold in Illinois too just curious I try to bring mine up a little slower leaving the bypass door open probably longer than I should I think when first starting up its better to bring up to 180 slower  rather than quick    Maybe I'm nuts but I think bringing these boilers up to temp so fast would not be good for the metal and the refractory bricks           a slow preheat less of a chance of stress cracks being created i would think.         I know on any big boiler or furnace at a refinery on initial startup they bring up very slow but part of the reason is to cure all the new refractory inside that was just installed

Just curious if anybody else is on the same thinking.         I could be wrong but it's just my opinion

Any input on this subject would be good from others.              Sorry Ohio.       Not picking on your post but curious on this subject 

Thanks Jack
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:39:28 AM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

Ohiowood

• OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: E-classic1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 06:09:27 AM »

The instruction manual will tell you to do that on the First fire on a new unit, kind of like a cast iron skillet.
  That was done, same with my Vermont casting stove we used to have. Never did it again on that stove.
Will be interesting to see what the other guys say, only my second season with the 1400.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:12:35 AM by Ohiowood »

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »

When I fired up my E-classic 1400 a couple of weeks ago I did it per instructions in the manual.  I think it took 3 hours for the water to get to 185 (My high set point).  This is my second season with it.  Lovin it so far.  However, this morning (at 5:00am) I did a thorough cleaning of the fire box. mainly to see what the air holes are doing, and cleaned the reaction chamber.  When I re-fired it (I saved the hot coals in a metal bucket to aid in re-firing).  I then added kindling and moderately sized wood and purposely left the reaction chamber door open to help it kindle quicker.  Inside of 10 minutes my water temp went from 175 to 185 (My low set point for the fall at 177.  When it gets to be winter I'll probably turn off the pulse).  I closed the reaction chamber door, added more wood to last the next 24 hours, shut the fire box door and reaction chamber bypass door.  The thing is running like a charm.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire