Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Furnace Fan High Limit Problem  (Read 2090 times)

banjoman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Rancher 365
    • View Profile
Furnace Fan High Limit Problem
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »

I need a little help with a problem I am having with the fan on my oil furnace since I installed the Hx in the plenum for my OWB.  As long as I keep the temp on my OWB around 145 deg. everything works fine. If I increase the temp above 150 the furnace fan won't turn off. It continues to blow heat even if I turn the thermostat off. I have to turn off the breaker to the furnace and let it cool down before it operates properly. I am sure it is the high limit seeing a higher than normal temperature causing it to run.

This is what I have found so far, the fan motor has lead designations "H,MH,ML,L,C". I have wires connected to "H,MH, and C". (red-orange-white). I have currently disconnected the orange wire (or MH) and it seems to work fine. The orange wire goes to the fan limit switch.

I really don't want to disable the fan limit switch or increase the temp setting if there is another solution as it is a safety device for the oil furnace. Anyone have a suggestion??  I do have a schematic for the furnace and can post it if needed.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
Re: Furnace Fan High Limit Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 06:40:03 PM »

I need a little help with a problem I am having with the fan on my oil furnace since I installed the Hx in the plenum for my OWB.  As long as I keep the temp on my OWB around 145 deg. everything works fine. If I increase the temp above 150 the furnace fan won't turn off. It continues to blow heat even if I turn the thermostat off. I have to turn off the breaker to the furnace and let it cool down before it operates properly. I am sure it is the high limit seeing a higher than normal temperature causing it to run.

This is what I have found so far, the fan motor has lead designations "H,MH,ML,L,C". I have wires connected to "H,MH, and C". (red-orange-white). I have currently disconnected the orange wire (or MH) and it seems to work fine. The orange wire goes to the fan limit switch.

I really don't want to disable the fan limit switch or increase the temp setting if there is another solution as it is a safety device for the oil furnace. Anyone have a suggestion??  I do have a schematic for the furnace and can post it if needed.
Well I got a kick-space heater under my kitchen sink cabinet..The fan comes on at a certain temperature and then shuts off at a certain temperature..I can turn the heat off 100%..That kick-space heater fan still will run until the water in the space heater is at a certain temp..Maybe your oil furnace is the same way???
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire