Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking for a good log splitter  (Read 4571 times)

gandgracing

• View Profile
Looking for a good log splitter
« on: December 21, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »

I need some good ideas on a splitter that has the biggest opening.  Could some of you do some measuring with the brand of splitter.

Jason

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a good log splitter
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 12:26:57 PM »

I used a small homemade splitter that belonged to a neighbor's buddy for the first 2 seasons I heated with wood.  When that was reclaimed by the owner I looked around for quite a while for a good splitter.  I ended up with a Huskee 35 ton model that I bought from Tractor Supply Co.  It'll split 26" or 29"(I forget which).  The big thing for me is that the 35 ton pressure is such an advantage in splitting old dead elm and locust, both of which are easy for me to get around here.  My unit has a 12.5 HP Briggs engine and you can split with the main boom vertically or horizontally.  I just bought it this past summer so it hasn't proven itself over time yet but thus far it is a really good machine that I would recommend to anyone.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

charlie

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a good log splitter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:54:13 PM »

Look on "american log splitters". Well made, a friend has had one for years. They offer an optional 30,36 and 48 inch splitter opening. That should take care of what you are looking for. I believe they will build what you need. Hope this helps..Charlie ;)
woodmaster 434 since 2002, 612 gal. storage stss; super splitt;stihl ms360.