Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sidearm vs. Plate heat exchanger for DHW  (Read 12935 times)

gmviso

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
Sidearm vs. Plate heat exchanger for DHW
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »

When I purchased my used CL5036 it came with a sidearm heat exchanger. It is made from one of the copper kits you assemble your self.

As I started reading more about using this, it was obviously way too long for the height of my water heater.

So today I started to disassemble it. I cut the outer pipe, heated up the inner and slipped the end fitting off the inner pipe. In trying to remove the piece of 1.5 inch pipe I could not put enough heat into it with my propane torch so after heating and heating I gave up and went to the neighbor who has an acetylene torch. However I had apparently oxidized the solder to the point that even with all the heat his torch could put in I could not get the fitting off.

So, now I have to decide whether to try and find a new end fitting, and reassemble what I have, buy a new kit for $75 from my local CB dealer, buy a preassembled sidearm or change to a brazed plate exchanger.

Not sure where to buy a new end fitting or how much it would cost.

If I buy a new sidearm it is likely to be off of ebay, where I can get it preassembled, with 7 smaller diameter inner pipes inside a 1.5" outer pipe for $100 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Side-Arm-Heat-Exchanger-Outdoor-Furnace-Boiler-Stove-/160508275258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255f09ea3a

If I switch to a plate exchanger I am eying this which is also on ebay  for $117 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTDOOR-WOOD-FURNACE-BRAZED-PLATE-HEAT-EXCHANGER-10P-/390305315870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae0027c1e

or this for $118

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brazed-10-Plate-Heat-Exchanger-Outdoor-Wood-Furnace-/160538672859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2560d9bedb

Which is the better way to go?

If I use a plate exchanger do I need a recirulating pump?

Looking forward to your replies.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:09:12 PM by gmviso »
Central Boiler CL5036

Ridgekid

Re: Sidearm vs. Plate heat exchanger for DHW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 05:15:39 PM »

I don't think I can help you make decision but I went with a 20 plate. I installed mine downstream of my furnace htx. No additional pump required.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »

I would not use a 10 plate. I have one on mine and it restricts the water flow pretty bad. You will want to go with a 20 plate if you get one.

gmviso

• Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »

So how is the 20 plate installed? Does it install just like a sidearm, beside your water heater, between the drain and the pressure relief valve? Does it require a circulation pump?
Central Boiler CL5036

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »

I have never seen one installed that way but it might work.
Most people using plate heat exchangers just put it in series with the cold water pipe going into the tank.

gmviso

• Northeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »

So what keeps the water in the tank hot?
Central Boiler CL5036

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 07:05:05 PM »

The water going into the tank is hotter than what is coming out. Every time you run the hot water it re-heats it a little.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »

20 plate is all I fool with, sidearms are def old school as far as I'm concerned... 

20 plate preheats the water and turns your tank
into a storage tank
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 06:18:02 PM »

Side arm maybe old school, as some have stated, however they both are just heat exchangers and both do work. I am using sidearm on a 40 gal tank and have no issues with lack of hot water.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »

Yeah, they both do the same thing. Which is better depends on your hot water usage. If it is fairly low or you go a long time between running hot water, a side arm will work better.
If you use a lot the plate pre heater will work better.
With low water usage and a plate the tank will cool faster than it is re-heated from new incoming water.
With a side arm when you turn on a faucet it is dumping cold water into the tank and cooling it down and you will eventually run out of hot water. The water in the tank will be much hotter to start with so the mixing valve will not take it out very fast so it will still last longer than when running off gas/electric.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 06:06:42 PM »

I have hard water and I chose a sidearm exchanger based on that.  Flatplates collect lime and such easily if you have hard water and require lots of cleaning to keep them in efficient running order.  Sidearms can collect a lot of crap before they lose effectiveness.  I also tied in a stainless steel circulator on my sidearm to circulate the tank water through the exchanger constantly.  I keep my water heater turned off and never run out of hot water this way. 

Steve f

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »

My opionion  flat plate exchanger is the only way to go im running a 30 plate for 6 years now never had to touch it, and saves running another pump
i can fill my hot tub 500 gallons with 130 degree water !  its on demand  thats what i like about flat plate echangers you not storing it.