Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: HE Orientation?  (Read 2250 times)

rhugg

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
HE Orientation?
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:16:58 PM »

12 x 20 duct, 12 wide and 20 high, my HE is 12 x 21 but the outlets come out on the 12" end so I can only install the HE with the outlets up.  I understand this is not the correct method, the outlets should be parallel to ground.  I don't understand why.  Do I need a HE that is 20 x 12 with the outlets on the 20" side?  Or will this one work?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: HE Orientation?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:28:16 PM »

12 x 20 duct, 12 wide and 20 high, my HE is 12 x 21 but the outlets come out on the 12" end so I can only install the HE with the outlets up.  I understand this is not the correct method, the outlets should be parallel to ground.  I don't understand why.  Do I need a HE that is 20 x 12 with the outlets on the 20" side?  Or will this one work?
rhugg, i have in my heat plenum, 2 rads, one slightly in front of the other and they are both with the inlet and outlet on teh top of the rad. i know it is said not to do this (now i know anyway) i have never had a problem but it may be due to these rads being about the lowest  thing in my sysetem (other than the floor heat loop in the basement) these rads are lower than the stove and the undergroun lines and the pump. That may have something to do with it but i am not sure...but it has worked well and trouble free for 10 winters
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:14:19 PM »

I doubt you will find a heat exchanger with the manifolds on the wide side. Using two 12 x 12's would be about the closest you could get.
I would guess the biggest reason not to do them out the top is getting the air out may be a problem.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 02:35:36 AM »

If you are using a 3 or 4 row coil you may have a bit of a problem getting the air out of coil. Once you do however you shouldn't have any more problems with that. My big question would if that will be a large enough heat exchange for you. I always swell the duct to at least 16 inches to be sure you are not restricting air flow when you run your original system and so you get a good heat from the outdoor furnace. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try the 12' coil but if you have either of these problems you know what the solution is. Good luck and enjoy your new furnace.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 05:28:05 AM »

i should have maybe said that a little different...i have 2 rads that overlap by about 2 inches, 1 in front of the other..sorry
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada