Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Adding a 20 plate x-changer to my system and have a question?  (Read 2622 times)

gandgracing

• View Profile
Adding a 20 plate x-changer to my system and have a question?
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »

My system right now just goes from my boiler to a heat x-changer in my plenum and then back to the stove.  How do I tie in the plate x-changer?  Do I run my hot from the stove straight to the plate and then to my furnace x-changer then back to the stove.  Seems as if I went to the furnace first my water temp would vary if your taking a shower and the furnace fan kicked on.  My x-changer in the plenum is on the topside (cold air return) of the furnace so the plate x-changer will be up high so I'm not sure how to mount it.  Any ideas on that??

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Adding a 20 plate x-changer to my system and have a question?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »

Just put it in series with the line from the boiler. It is best to be before the heat exchanger in the furnace but will work after if it needs to be.
If you run the water out of it into your water heater tank you won't notice a difference when the fan kicks in.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »

Mount plate exchanger where is convient to pipe and pipe to it. If your pump is not border line of being to small adding a few ells and pipe will not make any differance.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 05:45:04 PM »

i use a header system to all my 'appliances" so if i need to take one off line for some reason i can just shut a couple of valves off and they are isolated from my system. if i was going to hook everything one after the other on the same line, i would have a small loop around each 'appliance" so i could bypass the appliance if for any reason you neeeded to change it out or remove it from service for any reason
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »

At my local menards I can't find a 1" manifold system.  So do u use a manifold for inlet and one for outlet

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »

If you just have the flat plate and heat exchanger in your furnace you will want them in series.
If you do go with manifolds you would probably have to build them out of tees.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 07:44:54 PM »

Most OWB dealers sell manifolds, they usually have them in a long length and just cut them off at how ever many ports you want....i have both a feed and return manifold.. i have ports for domestic hot water exchanger...exchangers in the heat  plenum of the furnace..one for floor heat and one for a rad i have placed in my fireplace. all these ports are fed from the main header with a taco 0011 pump (the floor heat has it's own circulator on the floor loop but the taco supplies water to it)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada