Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Having second thoughts  (Read 2801 times)

oldchenowth

Having second thoughts
« on: October 01, 2011, 06:28:27 AM »

I JUST put in a 10 plate HX for DHW.  The more I read, the more I think I should have gone 20.  Have not had a fire yet so I cannot say if my decision was good or bad.  Anyone one up for some pros and cons of the 10 plate?

Senario:  put in to at least assist HWH.  Going against rule of thumb, mine is after the blower and before the electric water heater bumping up the intake water temp and using the tank as tempering.  I hope to make enough hot water that the elements don't turn on, but we will see.  Hence my seconf thoughts on the 10 plate.  I could replace it, but really don't want to throw away $100 for the 10 plate already installed.

Help a sophmore burner and rookie DHW out.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: Having second thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 06:43:23 AM »

iam no expert but i have a 10 plate ex heating 15,000 gal  pool and can get it up to 100f no problem! you should be fine
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:44:43 AM »

This is a total guess but it will most likely do 80% of the needed heat for your hot water when your blower isn't running and 40%-50% when it is.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »

I installed a few 10 plates when I first started, my 10 plate I had heated my hot water and it was always consistant, however I went ahead with the 20 plate and it does even better.  It just makes it hotter and more importantly doesnt restrict flow.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »

Same reason I put in a 20 plate. To avoid the flow restriction.

oldchenowth

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »

I didn't ever factor in restriction.  Anyone want to trade a new 10 plate for a 20 plate?  I guess I'll try it this year and see what happens.  If it doesn't do the job I'll run the electric for the rest of the year and put a 20 in next spring.  I can't see my wife agreeing to cool the tank long enough to change it out.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 05:12:51 PM »

I didn't ever factor in restriction.  Anyone want to trade a new 10 plate for a 20 plate?  I guess I'll try it this year and see what happens.  If it doesn't do the job I'll run the electric for the rest of the year and put a 20 in next spring.  I can't see my wife agreeing to cool the tank long enough to change it out.

Thats one of the main probs with a 10, it heated my water dont get me wrong.   However it does make your pump work harder and restricts flow, also, they are a lot more likely to clog due to deposits in your domestic water, hard water and such.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697