Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: heat exchanger  (Read 3169 times)

rclay1981

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 600HE
    • View Profile
heat exchanger
« on: April 25, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »

i'm going to start building my boiler soon and just wanting some opinions on the dhw. just want to know which is better a heating element in the boiler its self or a heat exchanger and which exchanger is better a side arm or plate style.
thanks for all your help

muffin

• View Profile
Re: heat exchanger
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:05:38 AM »

i'm going to start building my boiler soon and just wanting some opinions on the dhw. just want to know which is better a heating element in the boiler its self or a heat exchanger and which exchanger is better a side arm or plate style.
thanks for all your help

I would stay with a Hx seperate.  I think it is betetr to have it a seperate entity so they are not tied together.  You also want the Hx central so you do not have to wait a long time to get your hot water.  I like the plate exchanger I have and you never have to worry about running out as it is an on demand heater.  I believe the sidearms will run out, but only after a ton of hot water.

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »

I like the idea of the sidearm keeping the water hot so I never use electricity but I too bought a plate exchanger mainly for the simplicity of the install. My brother in law uses a Taylor OWB which has a coil in the boiler for DWH. I never could understand the logic of heating the water 50 feet from the house and having to run it all out of the line before having hot water.

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:09:06 AM »

I have a coil in my OWB and use my water heater tank for storage...so I have instant hot water as soon as you turn on the faucet.  My water just gets hotter and hotter the longer you run it.  Not arguing that its a better set up than a plate exchanger...just saying, for my application that it works very well, and my OWB is 100' from my house.
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:24:30 PM »

I have a coil in my OWB and use my water heater tank for storage...so I have instant hot water as soon as you turn on the faucet.  My water just gets hotter and hotter the longer you run it.  Not arguing that its a better set up than a plate exchanger...just saying, for my application that it works very well, and my OWB is 100' from my house.

Do you keep the tank turned on?  Otherwise I would think it would cooldown when you were not using it and take forever to get hot again at the tap.

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 06:58:59 AM »

Nope, as long as I have fire in my stove...my hot water heater is turned off.  My set up works because my family of 5 consumes a lot of hot water which keeps the tank up to temp.  If I was putting in a new system...I would go with a plate exchanger.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:29:36 AM by tbone »
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist