Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Edge  (Read 10928 times)

Oakhillhounds

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Still looking
  • OWF Model: Still looking
    • View Profile
Edge
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »

Anyone have intell on the new central boiler edge ?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Edge
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:30:50 PM »

I have tried unsuccessfully to get some info from the dealers that I know personally and they can't or won't divulge anything and don't have any on their lots, I'm not sure it has been tested for EPA approval yet either!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Corneroffice

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: CB
  • OWF Model: e2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »

woodbutcher

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:12:11 AM »

I've had my CB for 16 years and it has preformed great. But the new CB seems to be concentrating on all the high teck stuff. I'm replacing my CB next summer with a HeatMaster MF10000e. I looked at at-least 10-12 different makes and found good and bad in all of them. I liked the HeatMaster the best. You don't need all the fancy gismos to run a boiler, they won't put the wood in for you.

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »

I've had my CB for 16 years and it has preformed great. But the new CB seems to be concentrating on all the high teck stuff. I'm replacing my CB next summer with a HeatMaster MF10000e. I looked at at-least 10-12 different makes and found good and bad in all of them. I liked the HeatMaster the best. You don't need all the fancy gismos to run a boiler, they won't put the wood in for you.
Unless it is a commercial application and not heating a house, you better buy it now. You will not be able to buy a new one next year and probably getting hard to find any left now.

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »

OK after a quick look, at the link; I wonder why people would buy the 550 (an extra $1500, for 8k btu/hr)

I also do not 100% like the fact that they only have 1 set of 1.25" ports on the unit.  There would be a lot of fittings, check valves and flow issues I have to worry about if more than one structure is being heated

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »

OK after a quick look, at the link; I wonder why people would buy the 550 (an extra $1500, for 8k btu/hr)

I also do not 100% like the fact that they only have 1 set of 1.25" ports on the unit.  There would be a lot of fittings, check valves and flow issues I have to worry about if more than one structure is being heated

The 550 will hold about 1-1/2 times the wood which should give 50% longer burn time.

Most likely the reason for the single ports is because of flow inside the boiler. Nature's Comfort has been doing it since 2009  and it is not a problem.

woodbutcher

• OWF Model: MF10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 09:06:51 AM »

Unless it is a commercial application and not heating a house, you better buy it now. You will not be able to buy a new one next year and probably getting hard to find any left now.
Got my order in and will be buying before Dec. deadline.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 07:30:34 PM »

I have tried unsuccessfully to get some info from the dealers that I know personally and they can't or won't divulge anything and don't have any on their lots, I'm not sure it has been tested for EPA approval yet either!
Have you tried talking to the CB dealer in Dover? I know he has some Edge's on display.. The prices are kinda surprising according to the CB web sight..
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:34:03 PM by MattyNH »
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

shepherd boy

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 03:37:10 AM »

A friend of mine gave me this info on the Classic Edge 550:

Tested at .31

Downdraft through a nozzle in the floor like most gassers, no firebrick in reburn area.
Exhaust goes up around some waterfilled tubes with chains hanging in between. Chains are accessed by removing chimney elbow cap and are shaken with a poker to knock down residue.
Exhaust appears to be separated from firebox by bolt on panels...????
Uses firestar controller.

Very very basic design. Who knows, maybe they have figured out something??
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:07:30 PM by shepherd boy »
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 05:24:50 PM »

A friend of mine just got one (550) delivered this week. He'll hook it up sometime next week (I plan on going over and supervising!). Very simple design-similar to Portage and Main minus the horizontal tubes. The heat exchange area looks like it might be very hard and time consuming to clean in the event you're forced to burn wetter than ideal wood (you must take panels out from the primary burn chamber to access the heat exchange area).

Anyone using one yet?

I've gotta say....they are priced very competitively on their web site. Not sure what my friend paid for his unit though.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 07:12:57 PM »

I've had my 550 up and running for about 2 months now. All in all, seems to be running pretty good. Really impressed with how little smoke these gasifiers put out. Burns a lot less wood then my old 5648 did too  I had originally planned to purchase an eclassic to replace my aging 5648,  but these came out this summer and were a lot cheaper. After a rebate and dealer discount, it was priced nearly the same as a simillar sized conventional stove.

Haven't had to remove the access panels to get at the exchangers yet. And from what I was told, may never have to( maybe end of year cleaning?).  Theres chains hanging through the exchanger that you slide back and forth with the poker that knocks off any ash that accumulates. I may at some point this winter, let the fire die down and pull them out just to have a look, but so far after 2 months, I've noticed no loss of performance using only the chains.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »

Thanks for your feedback Pointblank!
I really am impressed with the design of the 550, as it kinda follows the KISS slogan. ;D
I'd be real tempted to buy one if I didn't have a spare P&M Optmizer 250 on hand as we speak.
Central Boiler has this unit priced where it should sell like mad.
I am really looking forward to my friend getting his up and running. As far as gassers go, Portage and Main are the most popular in this area.
I've seen CB's 1400 and 2300 in operation, and I think your 550 will not be anywhere as finicky to operate as they are.

A few more questions for ya, if ya don't mind.
What king of heat load are you putting on your boiler? (sq.ft.,insulated well?)
How much less wood does it consume than your old ripple top? (50% less?)
If you fill it completely, will it last 24 hours?
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »

Ya, i think the main thing thats been holding back the new gasifiers has been the price tag. These are priced where the old conventional stoves were at and should be easier to work into peoples budgets.  Hopefully the design proves out over time.

Im heating a smaller home, DHW, and a shop.  The house is a little over 1000 sq ft main floor + 1000 sq ft finished basement. 2x6 walls, R44 ceiling with decent windows.  The garage/shop is 30x48. 2x4 walls, probably around R22 ceiling. I keep the garage between 45 and 50 unless I'm out there working on something.
Its been a very warm fall so far here in Minnesota so its hard to gauge wood usage compared to my old classic. If i were to guess, id say its somewhere between 1\3 - 1\2 less wood.  I'll get a better feel for it in the coming weeks once it cools down and I'm finally putting a load on the stove.
As far as burn times, ive been following a 12 hour burn schedule, and usually fill less than 1\3 full. But its been warm and ive been mixing in some popple and pine along with some oak. The few nights its gotten down around zero,  1\2 full has been more then enough to get through the night.

Looking forward to some cooler weather so I can see what the stove can do.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 07:11:21 AM »

Haven't had to remove the access panels to get at the exchangers yet. And from what I was told, may never have to( maybe end of year cleaning?).  Theres chains hanging through the exchanger that you slide back and forth with the poker that knocks off any ash that accumulates. I may at some point this winter, let the fire die down and pull them out just to have a look, but so far after 2 months, I've noticed no loss of performance using only the chains.

Thats an improvement over the Eclassics isn’t it? I only really looked closely at one and that was in near blizzard conditions, looked like you dropped one end of the cleaning chain in the tube, then got underneath and pulled it thru if it wouldn’t go thru on its own?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana
Pages: [1] 2