Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: thermostat wiring  (Read 16776 times)

bronco79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: thermostat wiring
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 09:43:23 AM »

Cool. I actually had to install it about 2 ft above furnace . Awesome everything seems to be falling into place just one last hurdle n let the heat fly. I'll let u guys know if the stat wiring worked out. Bout to leave work n go do it so excited

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 01:01:54 PM »

I would take the wire off the W terminal and move the wire from the G to the W.
I doubt it will run the blower otherwise but wouldn't hurt to try it first before moving the wire..

It depends on the furnaces internal wiring though. Most that I come across don't control the fan from the thermostat unless you select the fan position on the thermostat.

bronco79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 01:04:27 PM »

Steve, RSI n Yoder..... It worked!!!!! T-stat works perfectly. Gonna start the fire this afternoon. Thanks everyone for all the help .   ;D

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »

BAM! Thank you RSI! That did it! You just saved me $100!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 10:04:20 AM »

Yep country, that will work on nearly all electric furnaces I've encountered, glad it worked for you!!!!!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

jksweld

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »

I have the same type tstat deal as country has. My question is, could a man put some type of switch (toggle switch,etc) on the white wire to run the electric furnace normal operation?? Need cheap and easy way for backup, for the wife and kid if Im workin and something happens to the OWB

Thanks

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 12:36:31 AM »

I wonder - has anyone made a simple solution to this with an OR gate using two 24VAC coil relays?  Seems to me it would solve all the world's problems with dual thermostats kicking on the fan.   .pdf schematic attached.

Buy two of these relays and a little soldering and you are all set:

http://www.amazon.com/PACKARD-PR290Q-Relay-Coil-Contacts/dp/B0015XK0VA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382681427&sr=8-2&keywords=24vac+relay

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 04:58:41 AM »

You guys can try all that extra stuff and if it works for you, then great!  My funds are exhausted.  I realize it may have been futile, but I showed my wife how to switch the 2 wires if it was necessary.  I really don't foresee any situation where it was going to be so cold and I wasn't around to switch it myself.  Our lives just don't have me away for long enough for that to be a concern.  Maybe it is for you guys.  I'm confident she could get the wires switched while on the phone with me if it came down to that. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

jksweld

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »

my funds are exhuslted to country, thats why I was thinking a simple toggle switch on the W wire, but come to think of it, I already have a screwdriver to put the wire back on!!!!!

jksweld

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 06:27:32 PM »

Does anyone know if toggle switch on white wire would work to switch between OWB and normal operation of electric furnace?

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »

Should work. Just connect the center of the switch to the W terminal and one side to the wire that was on W originally (probably white) and the wire that was on the G terminal to the other side. (probably green)

XJCraver

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: CWP 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »

What is the benefit of running two T-stats?  I've been reading about doing it that way since I started thinking about buying one of these stoves, and I've never really figured out why it's done that way....  I might even have asked about it here before.

I have a White-Rodgers 1F83-261 T-stat for my system ($62 on Amazon) - it's a 2 stage non-programmable with an adjustable differential (and a battery backup).  When the wood stove is burning, only the furnace fan kicks on and I have heat.  That's Stage 1.  IF something happens (fire goes out, pump quits, water leak, whatever) and the temp. on the T-stat is 2* (or wherever you want to set that differential) below where it's set, then the gas portion of the furnace will fire, and I still have heat, which is Stage 2.  No switching wires, or turning T-stats on and off, and no unhappy Momma because the house is cold.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why everyone doesn't just install a 2- stage T-stat??  (I understand some situations are different, and sometimes I'm sure a two T-stat setup is a must.  But for the run-of-the-mill, everyday system, I'd think the 2 stage would be much simpler)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:21:17 PM by XJCraver »

bajonesy77

• OWF Brand: Prosteel
  • OWF Model: 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »

Most i assume have a heat pump system like me and  that is 2 stages of heat with the heat pump itself and the eletric strips are back up or 2nd stage. The second stat gives the ability to just run the fan to a set temp.
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar
McCullough timber bear 20" bar

jksweld

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »

Well I looked at my tstat and only have red and white wires running to it. No G and I didnt pull the panel off the furance to see if there is a G lug I can hook up to.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »

How old is the furnace? If you have a G terminal in the furnace and no way to run another wire up to the thermostat, you could just put the toggle switch near the furnace instead. Or anywhere that you can run wires to that you prefer would work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6