Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: different type of thermostat  (Read 1581 times)

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Royal(in process of putting it in pole barn)
    • View Profile
different type of thermostat
« on: November 21, 2013, 05:08:52 AM »

I just got everything hooked up and pumping water to the HX for my Burnham oil boiler.  In reading info here I "broke" the B1 line and ran it to a thermostat that I attached to the HX.  That way if/when my wood/coal boiler would ever have issues and the temp drops below my set points it will complete the circuit and allow the oil boiler to kick on.

Now, the thermostat that i used for this (some say I'm cheap) was a $9 electric hot water tank lower thermostat vs $60-80 strap on aquastat.  It is adjustable from 90-150, as of right now i have it set at 125, so if my HX ever hits 125 oil kicks on and i'll have less to worry about.  As a test I placed the tstat on the HX and had my son crank up the wall thermostat the oild furnace pump kicked on but the burner did not, then I took it off the HX and placed it on the cement flool and the burner ignighted.

I have used a thermocouple on my multimeter to measure the temp of the pex to and from the furnace and under load it was loosing 15 deg, so I bumped my pump the the second speed and now the delta is roughly half now.

Mike
Husky 353 w/20" bar