Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sawdust  (Read 6660 times)

slosh250

• View Profile
Sawdust
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:46:35 PM »

Anyone burn saw dust any? Please post pro's and con's . I live in sawmill country and the stuff is just abundent here. Just an idea.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Sawdust
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »

Never tried it, id say it would smoke like mad and not burn as hott since it would be mashed together
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »

I would think it would smoke big time..I don't see it lasting for a burn time..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:31:13 PM »

fire place logs used to be made (maybe still are) from sawdust. i t was extruded in such a way that it was compressed so tight that the moistur in teh sawdust was all that held it together. they would dump the dam stuff in a hopper and if would be squeezed so tight by a screw taht it would come out the end like elephant turds and jsut get chopped off at the proper lengths. i used to see them in stores about 14 inches long and 4 inches across. they burnt great but i think loose sawdust would require a lot of air adn some special type of burner?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »

Yea Willie same way wood pellets are made, under pressure they get hot and the cellulose breaks down and glues the pellet together

Regular saw dust smokes like crazy and requires lots of air
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

MrDan27611

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 03:41:43 AM »

When I was talking to Portage and Main about buying my boiler, the owner was trying to talk me into buying a chip burner. Knowing I had an unlimited source of sawdust, I asked if the burner would burn sawdust instead. He said that yes, they could make it burn sawdust and it would work. Not exactly empirical evidence but an option.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

slosh250

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:34:40 AM »

interesting, it would smoke like no other im sure. probly could mix with wood and maybe extend burn times a little who knows

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »

MrDan -  The P&M Chip Burner works exactly like a pellet boiler.  They have a great video on their web site (via YouTube).  It's an expensive unit, $30k, but I'm considering it in the future when my wood boilers crap out as I have a very high heat load.  One nice thing, even at full heat load  running flat out, he said it would go 3 days on a fill.   Hardest part (other than paying for it) is chip storage.  I'm also considering pellets as an option.  Easier to set up a silo, but then I'm not sure about bulk pellets in my area.   And they would cost more than chips.   :bash:
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

wrudoing

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 02:16:38 PM »

i have burnt tons of it, i have a cabinet shop burns good needs to be mixed shoveling it full does not work i have the kids fill 30 gal garbage bags throw in 1 or 2 level it out and put your fire wood on top. The problem is getting it into the burner bagging it is not cost effective and shoveling it is dangerous. Really need a chip style burner made for this type material IMO. What im going to try next year is tree grindings mixed with saw dust,  that would be something that could be shoveled in without blowing up or blowing away??

willywood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: Pro-200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 05:36:42 PM »

You might want to take a look at the Bio-Burner.

http://www.leiprod.com/leiproducts/

It will burn wood chips, pellets, sawdust and just about any other biomass waste judging by their videos on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LEIProducts?feature=watch

Half the price of the P+M burner I believe.

dwneast77

• View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »

willywood -  That looks like a nice unit.  I'm far from ready to move on a new unit, but I've requested a price on the BB500.  Can't hurt to ask.
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
JD 870 Tractor

willywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »

I think the BB-500 has an output of 500,000 btu/hr. enough  to heat 30,000 sq. ft.
What are you trying to heat?  I think that unit costs around $36,0000 + $5000 for the hopper.

dwneast77

• View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 07:42:26 PM »

I'm heating my home 24'x60' or 1440 sq. ft., 2 story and not greatly insulated.  On a slab in Maine.  Not overly efficient.  I'm working on tightening it up.  I'm also heating 4 greenhouses and have 3 more I'd like to tie into the system.  Currently I'm using a CB E-2300 and a Wood Doctor HE10000 with a combined total btu output of about 450k btu's. 

$40k is a lot of money to shell out.  They actually have not responded to my inquiry yet, so I'm solely going by your estimate.  P&M has 2 chip burners,  a 500k and a 800k.  The comparable 500k btu unit is $31k with bin.  Many of the same features, such as network interface.  I like that.  Just for giggles, the 800k btu unit runs about $80k.  Better off to buy two of the 500s and save money.   The other option I'm considering is possibly 2 of the CB Maxim pellet boilers at 250k btus each for about $8k each.  Figure $20k total.  Not sure what their bigger hopper costs?.  But Pellets would probably cost more than double what chips would cost.  So I have a lot of thoughts running through my head. 
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
JD 870 Tractor

willywood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »

I saw both units at a trade show in Virginia and I.M.H.O. the P+M unit is a joke compared to the Bio-Burner.  It looks like P+M spent a weekend re-jigging a wood boiler to burn chips so that they could compete in that market.  No comparison in technology as the Bio-Burner is solely designed to burn biomass and has a propane ignition system, cyclonic combustion and exhaust system.  Don't know where you're located but if you get a chance to check one out do so.  I was really impressed with this product and when my wood choppng days are over I'd like to give the BB-100 a go.

dwneast77

• View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »

willywood - I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks.
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
JD 870 Tractor