Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: anyone with a carport for a wood shed?  (Read 14146 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
anyone with a carport for a wood shed?
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »

I am thinking of putting in one of these carports to stack my wood under and nose the front of my boiler into.I just wanted to get anyones opinion on how they like thiers if they have one.You see them adrvertised around here installed for around $750 and up.Cheap wood shed for the price.Plus I can move it and use it for something else later.
So anyone out there have one of these suckers?How durable are they? :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Dirtslinger

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
Re: anyone with a carport for a wood shed?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:59:48 PM »

I dont have one but I am getting one this spring sick of playing the tarp game
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 02:57:37 AM »

yeah I have one and its great when its raining or snowing and you can take your time loading and even have a cup of coffee and look things over.  T he good thing is you dont have to pay property taxes on it well not where I live anyway.

farmeral

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:28:46 AM »

I have a 10'x20' and it works fine to keep the weather off, it is convenient to use. 
My only concern is for drying the wood.  The only way to get really good airflow would be to remove the front and rear "doors", and I fear that if I do so, in a strong wind the thing will turn into a parachute and end up in the neighbour's yard. 
With both doors closed it has withstood some very strong winds - it is well secured to the ground.  Also don't buy a cheapo - I've seen many of them tattered & torn or in a twisted heap after a heavy wind.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »

If you're talking about the metal framed ones with metal roofing material for the roof, then that would be a great wood cover.

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:37:28 AM »

I was thinking of going that way myself. Might possibly just sink a couple of posts and build it myself too. If I can get the utility to drop me a few posts...............

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »

I wanted to put one of these in as a temporary solution.where it will be placed is where my future addition to my shop will be. So I don't want to build anything permanent there.I will have to see about some of the dealers around here.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 11:23:42 AM »

The price you see is for the basic style. You can add any option you want . One thing to consider.  Upgraging  the ribs or humps of the metal running horizontal,changing this to run vertical to allow snow and ice to slide off. My dad has to go out and use a roof rake to get the snow off his. Here's a  couple of sites to look at.

http://carports.com/index.html

http://www.tntcarports.net/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:10:23 PM by Russ Brumit »
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 02:38:42 PM »

With a pole barn style structure you will be paying taxes on it and yes thats price you see is for basic carport.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »

The price you see is for the basic style. You can add any option you want . One thing to consider.  Upgraging  the ribs or humps of the metal running horizontal,changing this to run vertical to allow snow and ice to slide off. My dad has to go out and use a roof rake to get the snow off his. Here's a  couple of sites to look at.

http://carports.com/index.html

http://www.tntcarports.net/
LOL I just checked out those 2 sites earlier today ;D
I agree on getting the ribs running vertical.Thats what I hate about these things,but thats how they get away with making them like they do.Nature of the beast I guess.We don't get tons of snow here really so I imagine I could get away with a regular one.Especially where I am located at.I even thought about getting a shrt one and then putting it on a pony wall to get it higher.Plus that would protect the frame from me and the skidloader ;D
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

woodburner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »

I have 1 & love it. It is the 1 you see by the road for $695.00
I bought mine from a hardware store & put it up myself. If you go this route, GET SOME HELP, as it was a bit heavy to lift the metal trusses. I added metal sides to match my polebarn, and later added an 16' overhead door & a 24" man door. I keep my 16' trailer, sometimes loaded full of firewood in there and still have room for alot more. I have had over 20" of snow on it without a problem. I think these buildings are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Woodburner
Central Boiler 5036 since Aug.2011
Galloway, Ohio
Lookin for ways to beat the Utility Co's everyday!

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 04:43:32 AM »

This one was across the road from my dad's house. There were several in the area collapsed from the snow. Make yourself a snow rake to be safe.

Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »

This one was across the road from my dad's house. There were several in the area collapsed from the snow. Make yourself a snow rake to be safe.

Yah, never trust the claims by the manufacturer, minimal at best. Better  to be safe than sorry. :bash:

dirtryder

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 11:56:11 AM »

I put up a 18' X 21' carport and love it. I had an extra foot height and end eves put in as extras. Was about $1,100 installed. I was going to build a 12' X 20' lean-to type wood shed from PT and standard wood with a tin roof. My buddy is a union carpenter and for some beers and my manual labor, he would have built it for me. After some discussion and figuring, he was the one who told me to go with a carport. It was actually about the same amount of money and "we" got to sit and drink cold Molson's while "they" put up the car port. I fill it about 3/4 full @ about 6' high.....around 13 cords or so.....all nice and dry ;). I have tarps as sides so all summer (unless we are getting a Nor'easter or something) all 4 sides are rolled up and bungeed to the roof open to the wind. During the winter months, I just leave the tarps down to keep snow and leaves out. It is no where's near a tight fit so it still "breathes" while the tarps are down.  I'm not that great with a camera but I'll try and get some pics of it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:58:07 AM by dirtryder »

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 11:08:01 PM »

I dont want to jinx myself but those carports that collapsed looks like they dont have any collar ties more than likely installed by same people I would imagine. You do have me thinking of something I wasnt worried about thanx for nothing but really thanx will be checking things out alittle closer.
Pages: [1] 2