Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: AH FOR THE WOOD SHED  (Read 5750 times)

R W Ohio

• View Profile
AH FOR THE WOOD SHED
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:15:28 AM »

Freezing rain and over 1/2" of ice on everything! But not on the wood pile,thanks to the wood shed.We have over 50,000 people without electric at 9AM today and with temps to drop to 11° tonight could be cold in a lot of homes. The wind here in Stark Co. at 25 to 35 mph. does not help either. We were lucky at our place, lost power at 1AM and it was back on before 5:30. I didn't even get to hook up the generator.   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:32:17 AM by R W Ohio »
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: AH FOR THE WOOD SHED
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:17:36 AM »

It is good that you were prepared RW
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »

Power out here in South Central Pa for 8 hours. Don't have my own generator yet so I snagged one from work. Made up a cord set, ran it to the OWB and back fed the house. House warm, beer cold and movie on the tube! Invited the neighbor to come on over but they were going to tough it out. I then asked them to call me when the power came back on since I had the main tripped out on the panel so I didn't zap any linemen.
Gotta get a gen set up soon!
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:37:43 PM »

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together.
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »

Glad you guys had your self set up. :thumbup:I was prepared here for the worse ;)
my trailblazer and 2 other gensets.Plus the wood for the boiler was all covered up.Glad you all made it through :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

oldchenowth

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:22:16 AM »

I'm not sure you guys care, but art had mentioned having the neighbor call when the juice came back on.  I hooked a very low watt bulb to my line side on the main breaker that stays on all the time as long as power is coming to the house.  Power out = light out, time to run gennie.  Bulb comes back on I just shut off the generator and switch back to direct deposit to Consumers Energy, I mean my ever understanding energy supplier.

Who am I kidding? Blood sucking wallet sniffers. Non reliable, over priced mother hunchers!

Was that outloud?

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »

I'm not sure you guys care, but art had mentioned having the neighbor call when the juice came back on.  I hooked a very low watt bulb to my line side on the main breaker that stays on all the time as long as power is coming to the house.  Power out = light out, time to run gennie.  Bulb comes back on I just shut off the generator and switch back to direct deposit to Consumers Energy, I mean my ever understanding energy supplier.

Who am I kidding? Blood sucking wallet sniffers. Non reliable, over priced mother hunchers!

Was that outloud?

Where you from. Consumer's Energy sounds like the outfit I get power from. $30 + mo/ for nothing and they will not allow to disconnect and reconnect(even paying disconnect fee). They want to charge minimum for the time you are off too. RIP OFF

oldchenowth

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 02:14:27 PM »

So you DO know who I am talking about!

Welcome to Michigan. 

Yeah, they charge for everything.  Try and make a claim for down time.  It is set up so it is virtually impossible. 16 days in arow w/o power or something crazy like that.  We had lines down in our field earlier this year, took them two and a half days to come and verify, yup two poles broken and lines laying on the ground.  "Are you sure it isn't your breaker?"  Yes dumbass, I'm staring at the MF pole laying down and the snapped line. 

Did I mention I don't play well with others?  They just rub my fur the wrong way.  But it sounds if we have the same power company, maybe just under different names.

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:14:55 AM »

For the record, there are very few people there are very few that I play well with either. ;D . Was just talkin to my mother this a.m. saying how I needed to move to the hills of kentucky or west virginia where they don't take kindly to being ripped off. She's from Ark. and thought that funny.