Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pump on the way out?  (Read 4636 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Pump on the way out?
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:03:26 AM »

I have I a Grundfos 26-96BF (I think) pump that I think doesn't have much life left in it. I unplugged it a few days ago and it wouldn't start again. It was late saturday night and ended up giving it a couple pretty good whacks with a hammer to get it to start. I am guessing it will not start next fall after sitting for the summer. I think this is the 7th winter that it has been running.

Am I best off just replacing it or wait and see if it will go then? I suppose now would be a good time to try out an Armstrong E9. They supposedly use a lot less power than a water lubricated pump. Has anyone tried one? If so, how does it compare to a water lubricated pump?

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: Pump on the way out?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:38:20 AM »

I don't know about the Armstrong but I would have a replacement pump of some kind on the shelf for next year.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:27:22 AM »

You may be getting some scaling in the pump bearings.  Sometimes you can pull the pump apart and clean the bearings with vinegar.
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:09:34 PM »

If you needed to hit the pump to get it running..Id be thinking about getting a new one..Hate to think if that pump went in the dead of winter....Not a bad idea to buy a second pump for backup...
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:22:59 PM »

If you needed to hit the pump to get it running..Id be thinking about getting a new one..Hate to think if that pump went in the dead of winter....Not a bad idea to buy a second pump for backup...
It wasn't just a tap either. I had to put it hard enough to drive a 16 penny nail a couple inches into a 2x4.  :o I was really surprised it worked.

I will probably try cleaning it like suggested. I don't know why I didn't think of that.
I might get a new pump and keep this one as the spare if it cleans up ok. I didn't like the Taco 0011 that I have for the spare and will probably get rid of it.

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 09:15:11 PM »

I have been using the new Grundfos Alpha pumps and am very pleased with them.  I replaced all my TACOs  with these and my electrical usage was cut by 75%.  These pumps have software built into them so they "learn" your plumbing and pressure requirements to start adjusting the rate of flow and reduce electricity usage.  For instance, when I first hooked up one to 5036, I set it to AUTO and it started pumping 9GPM using 27watts.  Two days later, the reading is now 2GPM and 9watts.  There are also three different "hard" settings if you want to control the pressure.  But even the highest setting on mine runs at only 43watts.  I also have these pumps on my infloor radiant heat system.
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 09:30:08 PM »

What does it use to adjust the flow? Is it something to do with temperature or pressure? I thought they were just meant for use with zone valves so they can slow down when zones close. That is not what they do?

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »

It does make sense that they would slow down with a zone closing, but based on what I can determine from the manual, it uses both pressure and viscosity of whatever it is pumping to adjust the output.  So, if cold water has a higher viscosity than hot water, it would require more pressure to push cold water and thus more energy.   In the case of infloor heat where you have a lot of turns in the pex tubing, it takes a little more pressure to push than a long nearly straight run.  Does that make sense?
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:14:13 PM »

I guess. I am still not sure how it would work much better on a normal outdoor boiler. I would think the flow would need to be the same all the time. Can it sense a change somehow when a blower starts up? I could see if the pump was on the return it might but how could it on the supply side?

I might try talking my brother into getting one so I can play with it. His house is off the grid so the power savings would be real good.

Ridgekid

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 06:26:37 AM »

I bet head pressure plays a big role on how it adjusts.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

It wasn't just a tap either. I had to put it hard enough to drive a 16 penny nail a couple inches into a 2x4.  :o I was really surprised it worked.

I will probably try cleaning it like suggested. I don't know why I didn't think of that.
I might get a new pump and keep this one as the spare if it cleans up ok. I didn't like the Taco 0011 that I have for the spare and will probably get rid of it.
RSI  are you still thinking of getting rid of that taco 011? let me know if you are.
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »

I might give it to my brother. It is a bronze model. If you are interested in it, let me know. I can get him a different pump.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »

I might give it to my brother. It is a bronze model. If you are interested in it, let me know. I can get him a different pump.

How much would you sell the pump? How long have you used it?
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 10:25:18 PM »

I am not really sure what it is worth. I bought it when I got the original OWB (almost 8 years ago) but I think I only ran it one year or less. I found a deal on the Grundfos so I swapped it out. The Grundfos is a much nicer pump.