Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Log Splitter Build  (Read 7227 times)

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
Log Splitter Build
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »

A friend of mine and I are building a log splitter out of parts that we had or were free. I bought a 4"x30" cylinder for 100.00 dollars it has an electric start 20 hp Kohler with a borg Warner pump not sure of size the tag was missing but it came off of an old log splitter my neighbor had. 6 gallon hydraulic tank and a 4 gallon gas tank. Its not finished yet but here are some pics.
Michael West
Central Ohio

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
Re: Log Splitter Build
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 04:15:19 PM »

Good looking build. Looks like you guys going to take out some big wood with that spiltter!!

walkerdogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »

We hope it all works I have 2 truck loads of elm waiting for it
Michael West
Central Ohio

lasor1

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster ss
  • OWF Model: Heatmaster mf 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 05:59:22 AM »

Good looking wood splitter build I like it! How long of a log you can split with this log splitter?

walkerdogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »

We can split up to a 30" log
Michael West
Central Ohio

open68

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »

Looks rock solid!

walkerdogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 07:07:06 PM »

http://youtu.be/pBr4rjkuWZA

Well finally got it where we can run it I built a heavier pusher plate out of 3/4" steel, bought a 28 gpm pump and bought a 25 gallon hydraulic tank. We are running the pressure at 2000 psi for now and it split about a half cord of walnut beech and hickory! The only piece it wouldn't split was a piece of hickory cross ways about 7" diameter!! Oh we'll won't be splitting like that anyhow! We still need to build a jib crane for it and a table
Michael West
Central Ohio

Pit Crew

• OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 06:02:41 AM »

Yeah a table is a must when your splitting by yourself. I would like to come up with a way to run the pump with your foot.  Anyone try something like that? Nice job
North east Ohio
Since 1960

oldchenowth

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 05:02:50 AM »

One of the more stout splitters I have seen.  A question to all you builders.  Would two wedges be better than a wedge and a push block?  Just gathering ideas.

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 07:01:07 PM »

http://youtu.be/pBr4rjkuWZA

Well finally got it where we can run it I built a heavier pusher plate out of 3/4" steel, bought a 28 gpm pump and bought a 25 gallon hydraulic tank. We are running the pressure at 2000 psi for now and it split about a half cord of walnut beech and hickory! The only piece it wouldn't split was a piece of hickory cross ways about 7" diameter!! Oh we'll won't be splitting like that anyhow! We still need to build a jib crane for it and a table

Walkerdogman

I like I made a 4 way wedge that slips over my original wedge to split quicker for the smaller pieces  if I were you I would add two pieces of angle at the end just to open the log up quicker so you don't have to push the whole log through before it splits especially elm being stringy just my two cents  hope I don't offend your work    Other than that looks like you know how to weld and do very nice work.   I like the wood stove in the background too.  I assume you built that too.     By the way the video wasn't working.    Nice work

Jack
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

walkerdogman85

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »

Thanks and you didn't offend me. My buddy built that wood burner we Are building the splitter at his house. We plan on putting something on the wedge to make it open faster but not sure how to do that and add the four way wedge yet? We have to tune the motor and build our jib crane! The splitter looks a lot different than the pics we changed a lot of stuff since then, went with a 28 gpm pump a 25 gallon hydraulic tank. We are runnin it at idle right now and it's still fast!! But we are having carberator problem. I removed the video off of you tube cause it was shaky so I'll try and get another one here soon as soon as my buddy gets his clutch changed in his truck! Thank you for the comments and keep them coming!!!!!
Michael West
Central Ohio

Jack72

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 06:04:10 AM »

Thanks and you didn't offend me. My buddy built that wood burner we Are building the splitter at his house. We plan on putting something on the wedge to make it open faster but not sure how to do that and add the four way wedge yet? We have to tune the motor and build our jib crane! The splitter looks a lot different than the pics we changed a lot of stuff since then, went with a 28 gpm pump a 25 gallon hydraulic tank. We are runnin it at idle right now and it's still fast!! But we are having carberator problem. I removed the video off of you tube cause it was shaky so I'll try and get another one here soon as soon as my buddy gets his clutch changed in his truck! Thank you for the comments and keep them coming!!!!!

Walkerdog
Here some pics of my 4 way wedge that I had made..  Which you could do something similar

Sorry I had to do the pics separate post for some reason

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:15:19 AM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009

Jack72

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 06:08:34 AM »

Here some pics of my 4 way wedge.  Which you could do something similar

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:25:58 AM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009