Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: legend owb  (Read 3157 times)

wood nut

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 4135
    • View Profile
legend owb
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:03:46 AM »

Was looking at a legend owb does anyone have one or have any info you may know about them.

kjw58

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: 275G- Coal Burner
    • View Profile
Re: legend owb
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »

I have been doing a little research on them also,  I live in michigan and have been unable to find one anywhere near me.  I can tell you they are basically a Taylor waterstove with a few modifications.  The guy that builds them used to work for Taylor for 10 years before starting his own company and they are built in North Carolina right near  where the Taylor stoves are made.  I am told they are a little wider, have more room in the back enclosure where the pumps go, and the siding is a little different, but are basically a Taylor stove.  There are so many different kinds of OWB on the market now it is mind boggling drying to figure out which gives you the most bang for your $.  Right now I am leaning towards one of the gassifiers!!  Happy Hunting !!  :bash:
S.E. Mich.
New Holland TC40DA
IH 464 w/2250 Loader
6 x 10 Dump Trailer
2 Stihl 261's
Poulan 3400 & 3700
Poulan 2150
Homelite Super XL

wood nut

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 02:09:57 PM »

That's about all i know too. I have seen one and its looks real nice was wanting someone that had one to reply with some info.

koutsman

• OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »

I have a Legend and really like it!!! It has been very efficient for me. I started burning it on the 1st of Nov. and am still currently burning just for dhw or if it gets down in the 30's I'll turn my bypass off and let the water go through my furnace coil and heat the house up. That furnace bypass is a very good extra feature that everyone should have. I went through about 7 cords of wood so far.  We are heating 3600sq.ft. of house including basement and 1200sq. ft. of garage with 12ft. ceilings set at 60 degrees. We heat 2- 50 gal. hot water heaters and also have the water lines ran to our hot tub but haven't had the courage to tie into it. I sure don't want to screw it up. I haven't had problems at all with the Legend. I bought mine through the Midwest distributor.  He is out of Minnesota and has been great to work with.  Everything he promised has been fulfilled and very quickly and efficiently,. I have been very happy with him!!!!  The Legend has passed the energy efficiency test and qualifies for up to a $1500 tax credit also. I was told it qualified at 77%. It smokes very little, mostly after refilling.
I am truly very happy with it so far and that could change next year although I hope it doesn't!!!
And just for the record I am not a dealer. My goal is to run it till May 1.
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

wood nut

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:29:56 PM »

Thanks for the info. Do you build your fire directly on metal in firebox or did you line with firebrick?

koutsman

• OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:06:44 PM »

I have the 6180. It holds 500 gallons of water and I do burn right on the metal. I guess you could put fire brick on the bottom. I never really thought about it. It didn't come with the fire brick but I think you could purchase it and lay it on the bottom. The 6180 doesn't have a grate or an ash pan. They do have a model that does have a shaker grate and an ash pan and you can burn wood or coal in it. But it was quite a bit more money.
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"