Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wives  (Read 11155 times)

Bud Man

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
Wives
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »

We touched on this in another post "just spent another $5000". Slim and I both brought up how our wives help us in our wood burning addictions.
  Slim stated that his wife came from the city, learned to help him and never looked back. My story is very much the same. Met a gal from Detroit, brought her to the farm, she moved to the farm, learned how to farm, now farms and cuts, splits, stacks and burns wood with me. And she really is involved in all of it, I couldn't do it without her. Sure, at times she needs my advice but most of the time she can keep the operation running.
  My question....How many of us are blessed to have a wife that really "gets it"? Understands us and wants to be involved and help us with this wood burning thing we do?
Livin' on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
Re: Wives
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:55:03 PM »

My better half grew up in Denver and moved to the country where we are at now.  In all fairness, both her mother and father grew up in small towns, both less than 1,000 people and most of her family were and are still there, so she "experienced" the country life since a child, although she grew up in the city.  Funny though, since moving to the country she will run to town, sometimes 2-3 times a day and I could probably count on one hand the number of weekends she has never ran to town from Friday to Monday in the 15 years we have been married.  Me on the other hand, if I don't have to go to town, I don't, week or weeks at a time if I can get away with it.  My home town is also less than 1,000 people.

She tolerates my wood obsession but only tends the stove when I am gone.  She would not have the first clue on running the splitter and almost the same on chainsaws.  She could easily learn both, but has no interest.  She does enjoy the products the firewood produces though, a warm house and full whirlpool tub anytime she wants to fill it up.

She would also probably tell you that cutting firewood keeps me occupied and out of the house in the winter!   ;)
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:20:24 PM »

Copy and paste Woodnuts post, my reply is identical!
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:47:46 PM »

Hey Sluggo, similar wives  ::)and we have most of the same saws, I just wish I had a matching bobcat and grapple!   :'(
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:23:05 PM »

I wish I was blessed but unfortunately I was not. Me and my girl for 9yrs just split up about 1yr ago and I have to admit she did help me once in a blue moon with wood ect... The girl Im seeing now is from South Jersey (Atlantic City) and she is full blown city slicker! Im the complete opposite. I took her hunting this yr and she could not for the life of her keep her damn pie hole closed long enough for the deer to come within site >:(. I look at it like this. Im 31yrs old and have not been married and and probably wont. Been doing all this on my own from day one. Why start now? Personally I love being single! Less stress for sure HAHA
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 02:38:13 AM »

I posted this once before, this seems like a perfect place to do it again. Please search (Hot to crazy matrix) on youtube, My wife is definitely a unicorn but Please don't tell the authorities as I can't lose her for even a moment, Dave when you find the right Gal, you won't even look back.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

wissel12

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 05:41:04 AM »

My wife grew up on her grandpa's farm. Her mom and dad split when she was three. So all of her life she was with her grandpa and uncles on the farm. They raised belgian draft horses. She could hardly wait to get home from school to go out side and spend time with the men on the farm.

Fifteen years ago I we went on our first date. She was fun and like to be out doors. Go with me to horse sales. Bring us gatorade when we are baling hay. Helping me clean horse stalls. Just my best friend in life.

Five later we get married and a year later we have our first child. That's where she goes down hill from there. She never goes out side to help me any more. I do all the out side work and do my share of chores in the house also. We now have three children. She tells me she wants me to raise  horse do farming with her grandpa, but she never comes out to see what i'm doing.  We have atleast two foals a year and all her coworkers are like that the coolest thing ever. They ask her if fun to go to the  barn to be with the babies. She tells them she looks at them threw are camera system in the barn.

So after my rant.  She does not help me or ever seen the stove up close. If i go away for a couple of days her uncles would have to feed the stove. She likes the heat and endless hot water. That's about it. She went from a tomboy to not cityslicker, but just confined to the house.
03 Duramax 72000 Miles
Massey Ferguson 275
WD 45
OC4
Stihl Farm boss 290
Stihl 025
Strasburg, Ohio

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 05:50:30 AM »

U guys are lucky my wife is a typical jersey guidet well manicured nails make up and nice hair! So I'm on my own with that whole process she wouldn't even know how to open the furnace door lol it's all good better this way gives me a chance to have piece of mind...
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 05:51:59 AM »

City slickers here .
Retired in the near north.Ontario
Can't keep wife off ATV, or away from the splitter and boiler :o
She beats me out to stoke the boiler on the cold mornings, when it won't make it till  noon.

She could probably drive anything.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:57:44 AM by kommandokenny »
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

woodmaster40

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 06:16:14 AM »

She hates smelling like fire, complains her eyes are burning, tells me how her shoulder hurts from putting wood in the boiler. All this after only one weekend of tending it to it when I went away this past weekend as she has stayed away completely up until that point.

She loves the heat and hot water......but that is all.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »

Wife spent her early years on a farm then moved to town, being an Air Force brat she's lived in Colorado, Nebraska and Indiana for awhile, then England for a few years then back to Indiana.

Moving to town about ruined her, cheerleading, gymnastics, etc. Weather permitting she still takes care of any orphan calves on the farm, when her health was better she'd even help me bale hay and cut a LOT of wood. She did help me earlier this year when it was milder top out a bunch of ash trees I had dropped. Take the Polaris Ranger out and fill it two or three times a day.

Right now though her activities are restricted by her doctor. A few years before her last open heart surgery she had an automatic defibrillator (AICD) implanted. Battery is low enough now that the doc doesn't want her doing anything that may result in multiple treatments (shocks) being required. We can thank the insurance company for that happy crap, battery is low enough that it may not work properly if multiple shocks are required, but not low enough for the pricks at the insurance company to pay for a replacement one yet.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

GCTerpfan

• OWF Model: Classic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 08:48:23 AM »

My wife and I have an unspoken agreement "she doesn't bug me to help with laundry and I wont ask her to help with the wood"

Although, I recently broke my foot, so I had to give my wife a crash course on keeping the fire going for a little while until I was moving good enough to get back to doing it myself.  She kept it going for about 2 weeks and in return I helped her fold one basket of laundry.  :bag: I still think she got off easier than me.
Garrett County, MD

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 09:20:33 AM »

I don't have a wife nor do I have a girlfriend.  Plus, I wouldn't know how it would feel to have help, I've been doing everything alone for years.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 09:24:11 AM »

My wife grew up as a "city slicker," though I can't really call myself a country boy either.  The difference is, both my parents did grow up poor and in the country and we were poor while I was growing up, so hunting, fixing things, and doing what we needed to was normal growing up for me.  My wife was a bit leery of hunting, etc. when we were dating, but she's all on board with it now.  She's even got her own pistol and concealed carry permit now and I don't think her dad even owns a firearm. 

She's a bit scared of using the tractor alone, but she'll use it when I'm around.  I don't think she'll ever want to use a saw or splitter, but that's OK with me.  I do the outside work, she does the inside work.  I got the better deal because right now she's taking care of a 5 year old, 4 year old, 15 month old, and newborn.  When I'm at work (24-48 hour shifts), she loads the boiler and doesn't complain.  She calls it her best friend because she can be as warm as she wants for free and she loves the smell too.  She does the budget so she knows that saving money is a really good thing wherever we can.

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 09:39:07 AM »

we both grew up on a farm ...we rode the bus together.....and I've been  riding her, for over 30 years ...she has HER OWN chain saw to  O0
Pages: [1] 2 3 4