Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: help on size of OWB  (Read 3438 times)

ls61

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
help on size of OWB
« on: November 07, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »

A friend i have been reading and wanting too build two boilers. i would like to know
1- what firebox size is everyone using, size door and we want ash drawer

2- water jacket size, we are wanting water all around except front

3- we are thinking an exhaust like the P and M where it goes front to back, when it comes out the back it goes round, i guess you just weld in a round chimney into the square tubing

any dimensions are greatly appreciated from everyone thats built them, we live in SC and the winters are not as long and cold as the ones up north

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: help on size of OWB
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:54:12 PM »

Heatmaster has some good diagrams you could look at at www.heatmasterss.com ..   They are made the same way as portage and main as far as the bypass goes.

Door size should be around 20by20 and water capacity will vary by how much your wanting to heat and the thickness of firebox material.  I don't recommend going thicker than 1/4 inch because you quickly lose efficiency as thickness increases.  If your wanting to heat around 3-4k sq ft with 1/4 plate I'd say 175-250 gallons would be plenty.   Headmaster the brand I sell has 150 gallon capacity on stoves up to 5k sq ft but there firebox material is stainless and thinner allowing better heat transfer.

Need any help with ideas or want to talk stoves on the phone give me a call.  606-474-7571.

I can help you get any parts or just give advice if you need
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »

Just like Scott7m said go with 1/4" material for your fire box.
My load door is 20"x20" ,but I think if it was a little bit taller would be nice.
I would make your fires box 48" deep that way you can load it as heavy as you want it.I also prefer an octagon style of chamber.Flat surfaces will help absorb heat better than a round style fire box,and transfer it to the water.
You definatly want some kind of exhaust that will be able to capture the btu's before they leave the stove.I too like the P&M stoves design.
Plan ahead for access to clean out any heat xchnger tubes .
I feel the more water the better,but there are other thinkings on the subject.I say go for atleast 200gallons.

LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »

If you haven't already read some, my informational thread im slowly working at. Trying to share everything I have compiled over the past few years so instead of repeating, here is what I have gathered.

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=1182.0

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 06:34:48 AM »

Take the time andnread the information that peacmar has posted.very informative and will help you design and build a great unit.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »

I just want to add, that its still a work in progress. And I add to it as time permits. If you have questions or need some help with calculations or design feel free to ask here in your thread and myself and everybody else will do our best to help you out. Best of luck, and as always... Don't forget the pictures ;)