Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: plans for a new build. give me your thoughts  (Read 3158 times)

theronbt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: hardy
  • OWF Model: h4
    • View Profile
plans for a new build. give me your thoughts
« on: September 25, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »

I am making some plans to make my homemade wood burner but I thought I would run some of my ideas past you fellas that already made one before. I like the idea of a round fire box so I am going to use propane tanks. Either 250/500. 500/1000. Or a 250/1000. I am wanting to bring the chimney up out of the firebox, is the back or top better? Next I would like to bring the chimney to the front of stove then back then up and out. I am wanting to do this to use the heat off of my chimney. Would 2x4 or 4x6 square tubing be better or worse than round for the chimney. I know depending on tanks I use room for the water and chimney might be an issue. I here of people using water holding tanks in there house for extra water. Is it better to have water in the stove or in a holding tank? What is a good ratio for water that is in the stove itself? And how much should be stored in the house. I currently have a hardy h4 which the chimney is straight out of the top. The chimney is always extremely hot. My current stove is not very efficient and is about 25 yrs old and for the past 3 years I have been welding patches because of leaks. What are your ideas for the line going to and from the house? Where is the best placement for them? Is there anywhere where you can buy a door setup as a kit or just build one. I know my chimney idea I will have to build a small door for a clean out.

Current stove is 80 ft from house
House is 2600 sqft
Also heating domestic hot water
In a year or so I am building a 40x30x12 pole barn
I want to make sure I build a big enough stove to heat all this and only have to fire it 2x a day when its really cold
Currently I burn about an average of 15 cords of wood a year (a mix of good and bad wood)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: plans for a new build. give me your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:57:08 PM »

I can help you out on pre fab'd doors and much from a couple different companies.  Good idea on running the chimney through the water to pull off more heat but youll have to make an access door for cleaning

as far as water storage, blah blah, im not much of a believer in it as ive saw and ran stoves that held 30-50 gallons of water and stoves that had hundreds of gallons.   Most of your newer high efficiency gasification furnaces dont hold much water.

look at it like this, your homes btu requirements are the same no matter what.  Having more water dont change that, and its about transferring heat into the water, not necessarily how much water you have

as far as underground pipe there are lots of options available to you. 

But I dont see you needing 500 or more gallons of water, a heatmaster 5000e would easily do what your asking and its 130 gallons

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »

most that build there own is becouse we as in me still enjoy the playing with it [the stove] :bag: if you just whant to throw wood and run i would go with scott idel , if going with home built make it longer then 3 foot i wish i did next one will be 4 foot will you have a grate for cleanout
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

theronbt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: hardy
  • OWF Model: h4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 06:43:55 PM »

I believe I am going without a grate style I like just the clean out it seems that all of the wood burners that I have been around burn more completely. On my hardy it has a grate and it seems like I am always trying to keep it clean. Its always plugged up. It doesn't help that most of last year it was dripping water inside my firebox. I believe that I have that all fixed until I spring another leak. I am wanting to buildmy own because I look at them more as a hobby than as a chore. I love cutting wood and messing with it. I just want to make a wood burner that is more efficient than my hardy.( shouldn't be too hard to accomplish that) around here people think the Hardy's are the best thing ever. They do work bit burn a lot of wood and I personally hate the SS that its made of
What kind of designs and prices are the pre fan doors
Thanks for all of your replys

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »

well at least to make it cheper you can rob the hardy for parts  have you thought of taring the old girl down for a full rebuild how big is the door on your hardy
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029