Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ash height  (Read 3268 times)

ST98

• View Profile
Ash height
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:38:45 AM »

I starting burning my 6048 two months ago and I was wondering the optimal ash bed height? It's currently about 3 inches above the door and about two thirds back its about 6" lower.

Thanks

Wrudoing

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: Ash height
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:47:15 PM »

I usually take 3 - 5 gallon buckets out at a time, which would leave about two buckets of ash in the furnace I've already taken 6 buckets out so far this year. I know some guys take out a bucket a week, I would say above the door is to much, as it gets colder you will be burning more material in turn the ash will need to be maintained more often. IMO

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:59:54 PM »

I take a shovel full or two out every couple of days  I hardly have any ash in my box at all !
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

monty3077

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »

I've heard some people say that a good bed of ash is insulation. Not sure if it's true or not.  I would try to stay below the door though.  Mine is a few inches below door.  Once a week I try to let everything burn up real good, damper is open most of the day. I have only emptied one 5 gal. bucket since mid October. 

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »

Ok. I emptied a kubota loader bucket the other day and it seems much better. Probably back to 3 or 4 inches below the door. Things seem to be burning better now.

Thanks

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »

Ok. I emptied a kubota loader bucket the other day and it seems much better. Probably back to 3 or 4 inches below the door. Things seem to be burning better now.

Thanks

Mine seems to almost instantly build up ash to couple inches above the door.  Then steady out.  I had built a grate for it and loved it, but the grate disintegrated.  Sure made cleaning easy and seemed to stall the ash buildup.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 04:59:51 PM »

I think the ash does act as an insulater but keeps the heat from getting to the water don't forget our units have water all around our fire box
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl