Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New build general operating questions  (Read 3751 times)

jason69

• OWF Brand: Home made
    • View Profile
New build general operating questions
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »

Great site, just joined.  I fired up the unit about a week ago.  Setup is a typ tank within a tank (old propane).  6" stack with store bought hand controlled damper.  Uses an electric fan connected to a 36" long section of tube with 1" holes for combustion air.  Water lines run to a coil and fan (forced air).  Programmable thermostat in house. (30% of ductwork complete).  Aquastat is set at 160-180.  Works great, just seems to be plowing through wood.  I notice I have a few air leaks in my rope gasket around my door.  Questions:

1. Are the 1" holes in my air induction tube too large - allowing more air than needed, thus burning wood faster than necessary?
2. Is there a more optimal range to set the aqau stat?  (I understand I may need to mess with this a little to fine tune)
3. Is there an aqua stat or another induction fan control that will turn the fan on every 30 minutes or hour to ensure fire stays going during warmer heating days when the aqua stat isn't calling for more heat? (saw this from a post on another site but no specifics listed)
4. Is there a better method to dampen other than the store bought 6" damper in the chimney?

Thanks all.  Look forward to hearing any input you all would have.

lawrencep

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: New build general operating questions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »

There are so many variables to why you are burning so much wood. How much water dose the boiler hold,is the unit insulated good also is the underground pex insulated. I would prob have the damper on my blower and have that all hooked to the aqua stat. The door leak prob dosent help also.

jason69

• OWF Brand: Home made
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »

Thanks lawrencep.  I need to take measurements to get exact volume of water.  The guy that built it said entire system should hold 300 gallons, but I think that estimation is high.  Underground pex is insulated.  I have about 10-12" of fiberglass insulation surrounding the tanks.  I think I need to limit the amount of air coming from the blower (cover some of the holes).  After looking at other posts, I don't know that I am burning all that much.  I basically place two stacks of wood end-to-end (probably 24 pieces) every 12 hours.  The guy that built mine has the same one and says he uses about half that.  Thank you for your comments.

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:15:37 PM »

Jason
Most guys run their boilers on at 160 off at 180.  I don't think most people use a damper on the chimney.  Normal boiler control is; The aquastat starts the fan and opens the inlet damper wide at 160 and shuts the fan and closes the inlet damper tight at 180.  No need to run the fan every half hour, hot coals will remain for several hours, some get 24 hour + burn times in mild weather.  To me your wood consumption does sound high, but I don't think this is caused by the size of the inlet air tubes. Yes a ridiculous amount of air is probably not real efficient but, within reason, more air will heat the water faster and shut the boiler down sooner.  Maybe the wood consumption is caused by the leaking door gasket or maybe its just 'cause its been so darn cold out lately. 
Muskoka, Ont