Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: water fill question  (Read 2408 times)

mule20

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: none
  • OWF Model: none
    • View Profile
water fill question
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »

does some people tie into a water source to fill your owb or run a hose or something like that to fill your stove or keep it topped off ,and do they evaporate  very much water , iam new and trying to learn about these boilers.

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
Re: water fill question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:29:10 PM »

I have a fill valve with check valve to keep it isolated from the domestic water installed right in my cellar. I just look out the window and when it overflows I shut it off. I usually check it every 2 weeks and top it off could probably go longer but I dont. I also can open a drain right from my cellar and my sump pump takes it away.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:33:17 PM »

Some guys go all out with auto fills, check valves, low water sensors, the whole nine yards. Me? I ran garden hose and filled her up. I haven't had to add a drop since I filled it. There is a thread on here about adding water. Some guys have to add often, others don't add for several years.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

mule20

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:41:36 PM »

countryboy that sounds alot easier trying to learn everything i can so i dont get boofooed by a crooked welder thanks for the reply

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »

My well water is really really hard and the water lab did not recommend using it in the boiler.  I have an unused fill line from the house, but I hauled water to fill the boiler from town.  I also built a 15 gallon "nurse" tank to top off with and top off about every 2-3 weeks.  It has a small pump with the tank and I have  short hose I hook to the boiler, plug in the pump, and in a few seconds can top off the water.  Its best to top off just after the boiler has cycled and is up to its temp, less chance for expansion and spitting out excess water!

Search on "nurse" and you can find my previous post on this, but the administrator has deleted the picture now. :-\
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 08:08:34 PM »

It's easy to put a hose bib inside the house and fill from the laundry sink or similar, maybe some systems are different but I don't need to add anything very often. If the is a problem well that's one thing but for me it's hardly an issue.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44:20 PM »

I steam off 2 gallons a day so I have to add often. I have a quarter turn valve T'd into my return line. I have a line off my domestic run into the quarter turn valve. I just fill for minute or so every week.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 05:44:18 AM »

I hooked mine into the house right above the hot water tank with a check valve and two ball valves. (thats what the inspector wanted) It was easy for me to do that since it was a new house and plumbing was being finished. Its soooo easy to top off and fill the boiler that way. Helps get the air out of my lines too.

pointer80

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400 heavy duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 05:58:24 AM »

I have basically the same set up as ecc_33.  I had to add water once in about 7 years.  It does make it easy to refill when draining and refilling the system. 

mule20

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 07:21:46 AM »

thanks for the replies trying to learn all i can before i buy one of these boilers