Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: This will get you thinking!!!  (Read 2049 times)

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
This will get you thinking!!!
« on: October 30, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »

It has been determined that running your pump continuous is much better for your OWF.  With that being said, everybody looses heat when running pumps continuous when nothing is pulling off of the lines.  In other words, your heat in your house is off, you are not using your hot water, etc.  If you were to install a pump on your OWF that just pumps water from the top to  the bottom or vice versa continuous and you set your other pump to run on demand, wouldn't you save a lot of heat especially people that don't have very good insulated pipe.  Any comments are appreciated

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: This will get you thinking!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »

My Taco Delta T could easily be set up for this by removing the jumper between the HT terminals, but I’d also need an aqua stat on the water heater as I’m using a sidearm and I also have a snow melt that would need a call for heat circuit, already running Logstor so I’m not sure the added complexity is worth the small amount of heat that would actually be saved, might have definitely been worth it with my old underground pipe.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

thompsbren

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200sr II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 08:30:38 PM »

Loosing heat is only bad if it happens in spaces that aren't heated. I've got 70' of logstor and the rest of my plumbing is in heated areas. The radiant heating from the circulating water is a cheap way to heat my house and garage. I see your point though if it were a long run in poor quality pipe.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 09:09:15 PM »

I shut my old home made stove down quite often in the day time this time of year (I mean I shut the circulation pump off and leave the OWB fan on to keep the OWB up to temp) I do this just because my piping in the basement is mostly un-insulated copper and it throws a lot of heat, when the sun comes out and the outside temp gets up to 65 or so my house can get over 70  from the sun, no sense in having that added furnace heat and opening a door or window. also I have 250 feet of logstor in the ground so I figure I am also losing about 3000
 btu per hour this time of year and maybe double that in the winter

now if my wife used much hot water in the day I might leave it running but electricity is expensive here in the daytime so we try not to use too much.

with the price increase starting in November we will be (on average) about 23 cents per KWH
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 11:39:06 PM »

Just a couple of things to keep in mind. For people not using antifreeze in their system you need to be careful about lines exposed to cold temps or not buried too deep if you aren't running the pumps continuously. For DHW users who have it heated with a plate instantly, you will have a long delay to get hot water if the pump doesn't kick on until a call for heat. Best bet to me is to insulate the pipes well and run the pumps.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 12:12:37 AM »

When I installed my Logstor last fall we hit a new tile I installed when we replaced the south foundation of the house and also hit the old clay tile that drained the  original foundation before the south addition was added.

Repaired the clay first then let it settle all winter as it was deeper the new plastic drain tile. My Logstor actually had snow on it that never melted off unless the sun was out, I also seen it with ice on it that didn’t melt for several days until the sun came out.

Long story short, spend the money on the best underground pipe you can get and heat loss will be moot.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 03:47:17 AM »

I agree 100% Marty and for those of you interested in reducing heat loss when nothing is calling inside the home I might suggest making the wood boiler loop a primary loop that constantly circulates and a secondary loop just inside the foundation to feed the building, the secondary loop only comes on with a call for heat.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.