Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Check your eaves for ice build up!  (Read 4656 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
Check your eaves for ice build up!
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »

Got home from work andpicking the kids up from school.My daughter says"uh, dad the window in the living room is leaking!" Go out and looked at the eaves, and sure enough under the snow is 2" thick ice goingbackup the roof 8 to 12".Chipped all the ice off and no more leak.Just ,wanted to let you guys know. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
Re: Check your eaves for ice build up!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »

Sounds like a proper re-roof /  insulation is in your future. Projects never end, do they?

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 02:01:42 PM »

Well IDK about that.It is a modular home , and the roof is in excellent shape.I have vaulted cielings all throught out.I noticed the ice was worse above the living room , and ,that is were we have the kerosene heater running till the boiler is hooked up.Never had this issue when the furnace was running.Plus we got alot of snow and then it warmed up then froze up again.
I want to build a new house, and not spend much money on this one.But I have thought of putting a metal roof on to match my shop.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »

Yeh, everyone around here is going metal now. Cheaper than shingles, both short term and long. Any ice damming at all shows sign of inadequate insulation and any leakage shows lack of proper roofing.(ice and water barrier, etc.). Being a modular, probably doesn't have an "energy heel" truss for extra insulation over the top plate area. Keep in mind and be aware of any possible mold growth behind wall now. What kind of house are you looking at building?