Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: BTU conversion ?  (Read 4920 times)

Jbuck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
BTU conversion ?
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »

Was reading another post where someone I think it was WillieG was able to caculate a BTU conversion from gas to wood, (ie. 1,000 gal of LP gas will produce X number of BTU's so you would need X number of cords of wood to equate the same).  I did try to find a conversion chart eleswhere on the net but not very well versed on the use of the WWW

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: BTU conversion ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:05:20 PM »

yeah I think Willie is the guy who knows how to do it.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: BTU conversion ?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:52:26 PM »

Was reading another post where someone I think it was WillieG was able to caculate a BTU conversion from gas to wood, (ie. 1,000 gal of LP gas will produce X number of BTU's so you would need X number of cords of wood to equate the same).  I did try to find a conversion chart eleswhere on the net but not very well versed on the use of the WWW
1 gal of liquified propane 91000 to 91600 btu
1 pound of wood (20 percent moisture((considered dry))) about 6600
1 lb of  wood contains about 8600 btu but it takes a bunch of them BTU to boil the wetness from the wood so that is where they come up with 6600
now there are other things to consider also...

the mositure of your wood will lower or raise the "useable" btu in each pound of wood you use
the efficiency of the stove  you want to compare may be higher or lower than your OWB
notice above i said a pound of wood...that means just that..willow has just as many btu per pound as oak (as long as moisture content is the same)

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada