Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Replace Door Gasket, how often?  (Read 6187 times)

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Replace Door Gasket, how often?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »

I've seen the heat from a grated unit cook even high temp silicone. Just peeled it off. On the older style MF units where the door is down near the grates just doing silicone behind the rope seems to work better... But like I said, I'm referring to units where the gaskets get really hot.
But putting it on the face does make for a nice tight seal.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:40:57 PM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 01:42:06 PM »

If your going to replace your gasket might as well do the silicone trick and have a better gasket as well.

1: Scrape all residue out of the door track, if any rust is present go ahead and fix that as well.

2: Using high heat silicone place a generous bead in the door track, go ahead and work some silicone into the new rope as well.

3: Place the rope in the door track as you would a normal rope, spread more high heat silicone over the rope.

4: Using a putty knife work the silicone smooth, if desired masking tape can be used for a neater appearance when done.

5: Place wax paper over the fresh silicone and gently close the door, then open and leave open for at least 24 hours for the silicone to cure, given the amount of silicone 48 hours might be better. If wax paper isn’t available I cut strips of aluminum foil and just leave it attached to the silicone.

6: Remove the wax paper and enjoy your new gasket.

You should add a step of moving the door adjustment all the way out first. Otherwise you might loose a lot of adjustment range.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »

If your going to replace your gasket might as well do the silicone trick and have a better gasket as well.

1: Scrape all residue out of the door track, if any rust is present go ahead and fix that as well.

2: Using high heat silicone place a generous bead in the door track, go ahead and work some silicone into the new rope as well.

3: Place the rope in the door track as you would a normal rope, spread more high heat silicone over the rope.

4: Using a putty knife work the silicone smooth, if desired masking tape can be used for a neater appearance when done.

5: Place wax paper over the fresh silicone and gently close the door, then open and leave open for at least 24 hours for the silicone to cure, given the amount of silicone 48 hours might be better. If wax paper isn’t available I cut strips of aluminum foil and just leave it attached to the silicone.

6: Remove the wax paper and enjoy your new gasket.

Seems like that wouldn't work for me.  Wouldn't that smash all over the place?  I guess I shut my door way too tight.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »

You would have to let it completely cure before tightening it up. With the silicone you shouldn't need it as tight either.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »

I saw in the manual that this was an option.  I think I may try this on my original rope gasket if it ever does fail.  I have a feeling my gasket isn't going to fail anytime soon.  I'll try it if I ever get to that point.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection
Pages: 1 [2]