Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: radient in slab install  (Read 1629 times)

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Royal(in process of putting it in pole barn)
    • View Profile
radient in slab install
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:01:24 AM »

Im having a hard time wrapping my head around what is all going to be needed for a (hopeful) in floor radient install in half of my pole barn.  The insulation, wire mesh, and radient barrier are easy.  I have 900sqft so a 4 loop manifold will be what i should need.  Not sure on the size of the pex and the plumbing for the mixing valve and that stuff. I have a pressurized system, so either Pex-al-Pex or OB pex is what i need to use.

Pictures would be a HUGE help.

Thanks

Mike
Husky 353 w/20" bar

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
Re: radient in slab install
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »

Oxy barrier for sure, .......radiant barrier???? What are you using?  Hopefully you meant foam board. 2".... I would go 6" oc which is about 1600' of 1/2" pex.. 5/8" @ 9"oc is 1200' pex. Try to keep loops at 250' , longer than this creates inconsistencies or requires over pumping to hide. Also you want your mesh or pex on chairs so it's within 2" of the top of Crete. This reduces lag time greatly and also allows for fewer btu and lower supply temps.

Don't forget to insulate the edges as well this accounts for 15-27% of losses. I would do a standard layout not reverse return since this is a barn. Meaning the hottest goes to the perimeter and works toward the center. Don't be afraid of going shorter loops and more loops. It can't hurt, but too long can hurt. This gives you much more control and flexibility. Maybe you section off a room and want more heat there, just balance the manifold to do so, for example.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:51:14 AM by Sprinter »
Michigan Thumber

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:23:40 PM »

Lay it out correctly once, cause its a bit harder to fix after the concrete goes in!    :thumbup:

Also, pay attention to where exterior doors are, it can be beneficial to run a little bit closer spacing in these high heat loss areas

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Royal(in process of putting it in pole barn)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 03:51:35 AM »

What about the mixing valve, and how it is plumbed?  This is the area that i am most concerned with.
Husky 353 w/20" bar

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 04:10:59 AM »

Guys if you go to your local plumbing supply house that you buy the components from, they will lay the whole thing out for you at no additional cost, this makes them responsible if you have a problem, take their advise and do it the right way
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

LittleJohn

• OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 06:41:44 AM »

Doo_hicky, when installing a mixing valve it is the general rule that you need a pump some how plumbed into the mix temperature line.  This is what will push the water from the mix valve out thru your floor; depending on style (have seen a few 4-way mixing valves) may require an addition pump on heat source loop.  But in most cases, the mixing valve should come with some paperwork explaining the manufacturers recommended installation method