Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: how to unload stove???.......  (Read 5532 times)

jbc

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
how to unload stove???.......
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:41:37 AM »

Ok...so I am buying a stove and it will be loaded in the back of my pickup truck...

Here is the question....How can (I) unload the stove?

I know I can call a wrecker--look to friends with equipment---but these have simply have not worked out in the past, and I prefer to rely and do stuff myself.

http://ridgewoodstove.com/ridgewoodsept_008.htm

Does anyone have a idea how to unload the stove?.....It weights 1900lbs empty. Also the stove manufacture said to unload it simply lower a chain into the chimney and use a piece of steel to wrap the chain around(stove does'nt have a eye hook) and lift it up. I dont like the idea of dragging the stove off a trailer either, so how about some idea's....

I thought maybe I can rent a trailer which is lower--but I still dont like the idea of dragging the stove because I dont want to stress or break welds on the legs. I know if It was like the Timberwolf stoves that have skids on the legs it would make it really easy and I would'nt have a problem with sliding it off a trailer....Maybe I can weld skids on myself, I do have a welder so it would'nt be a problem there.

I wish the model I purchased had skids like these models have--It would make unloading plus the need for making mounting slabs unneccessary....

http://timberwolffurnace.com/models_and_prices.html

I just wanted to see if anyone had better idea's out there.

JBC
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:04:34 AM by jbc »

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Re: how to unload stove???.......
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:04:43 AM »

are you buying it from a dealer?  If so, shouldn't they deliver it for you? 

If not, could you rent a big enough back hoe, fork lift, etc for a few hours?  I would hate to see you try and improvise and end up dropping the stove out of your truck. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:02:37 AM »

I have seen a Taylor winched on and off a trailer but they have runners under them. I do not like to ask for help either but I do not like my stuff torn up either. I would be asking around.  Surely you can have it delivered cheaper than renting a piece of equipment.

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »

To move my Hardy I put a 23,000 pound tow rope wrapped around a length of pipe down the chimney and lift it with a tractor front end loader.

Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »

If you drag it off a trailer, just put it on planks or 3/4" plywood and pull on the wood to move it, not the stove.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:34:30 PM »

Back the truck over the slab and build an A frame out of 4x4's, raise it up and drive out from under it then lower it into place.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

jbc

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 02:40:23 AM »

Well I am going to give the local wrecker service a try again. Being that the time of year is slow for the wrecker serives in my area--they said $60-75 dollars and give them a 1 hour notice and they will be there...

I simply feel uncomfortable with 4x4's with almost 2,000 pounds of weight---someone or something will get hurt. Plus the cost of 4x4's will be far more then the wrecker service.

thanks folks...

JBC