Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Classic Edge 750 Opinion  (Read 4033 times)

Rufustoad

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Timberwolf
  • How do I get free wood, cut, delivered, & stacked?
    • View Profile
Classic Edge 750 Opinion
« on: October 14, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »

I sure could use some advice from experienced users. I have an old TimberWolf OWB that I am thinking of retiring although it is only around 12yrs old. I was at the loggers show in Escanaba MI a few weeks ago and met up with a few dealers that guarantee I will save half the wood I am using now. After I looked at the Edge 750 i was really impressed with the new wireless capabilities that it has. I travel extensively and its up to my wife to load the stove so I really would like to keep an eye on what is happening. I called a local dealer and WOW almost $13K???? I almost fell over. Does anyone own this new technology and do you feel this stove is worth this kind of money??

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Classic Edge 750 Opinion
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 02:12:18 PM »

To be perfectly honest I’d look into either a HeatMasterSS or a Crown. Both are 100% stainless steel, both companies stand steadfast by their warranties. I am a HM dealer so my opinion is a bit biased. HeatMaster will have a wifi controller at some point in the future. A basic G400 will run about the same as a 750. G400 has a limited lifetime warranty with a 5 year 100% replacement guarantee.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 04:21:05 AM »

Furnacecompare.com is a good place to start.
You can get a lot of the same ability to watch water temps with WiFi BBQ thermometers.
Any gasser will use a lot less wood. My GS100 has cut my wood use way down.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 05:30:00 AM »

Rufostoad, you asked if there are any experienced Edge users for input. I have been burning gassers for years and can't say enough good things about my Titanium Edge 750 HD. I ran the 750 HD last heating season. You can read my post updates here on this site under the Central Boiler heading - lower down on the home page. Roger runs a Titanium Edge 550 HD and shares his experience as well.   https://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=9751.0
I would not be without my XP wifi info. and the history charts are awesome. You can see and understand every burn cycle, allowing you to "tweak" your burn practices if you wish. The FireStar controller capabilities are light years ahead of anything else out there. Operation and maintenance access can't get much easier. As you can tell, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 03:40:24 PM »

What are you heating that would require a stove so large as a 750? Gassers are VERY unhappy when oversized, this is a very important step in purchasing an OWB- gasser or not. Perhaps a 550 or even 350 would better suit your needs and your budget. With that said, I'm quite unimpressed with CB's method of welding dissimilar metals together in the Edge series as well as their unwillingness to fulfill any warranty claim whatsoever unless it's as simple as a controller or something. Not to mention their "dealer training" that essentially convinces dealers to do things wrong, and their agenda that includes simply ignoring and removing comments from those of us with questions and concerns about their shoddy construction methods. Not cool IMO

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 12:09:31 PM »

Soooo, can we safely say that you don’t like the Central Boiler brand Wreckit?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 12:10:38 PM »

Gee, did I ever show you some of the pictures that I have stored of issues with HeatMaster?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Rufustoad

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Timberwolf
  • How do I get free wood, cut, delivered, & stacked?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 04:28:25 PM »

Thanks ALL for this input, been on the plane and not able to respond!! My house is about 2800sf with 16ft ceilings and I will be adding floor heat and garage soon. I am ONLY looking at CB because of the WIFI capabilities and it appeared that you can see a lot of data. I also like the stepper motors they now use but that still dont get me to that kinda cost  :o What is meant when you suggest that gassers do not like being over sized?
When they tell me I will cut my wood consumption in half have any of you seen this? I understand there are alot of calculations involved in that but I thought I would ask if anyone has seen that much savings?

mlappin, do you have any idea when there wifi capabilities might come out? Is this hearsay of do you think its for sure??

Thanks boilerman for that link. I will definitely read it

I agree with you wreckit. The dealer I talked to here was rude and she didnt really have much to offer. I asked her about the new regulations I have read about and she had no clue

Anyone in this forum ever heard of Proheat hydronic heaters?

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 06:07:32 PM »

Any boiler will be much happier and efficient when running flat out than sitting around idling a bunch, but gasifiers catch the brunt of it. A conventional there's some cushion and tolerance for idling and creosote, but gassers not so much. Creosote is the enemy to gasification stoves, they like clean and dry. I'm not a gasser owner myself, they aren't quite the right choice for a guy like me that doesn't perform cleaning and maintenance and I burn a lot of crap wood that would not be ideal for a gasser- so I cannot say with any experience what the savings are, but there are plenty of folks on this page and others that have cut their consumption in half by simply switching to a quality gasification stove.

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 03:32:27 AM »

I've done quite a few change-outs from various brands to G or GS series gassers. Feedback I've gotten is 30-60% less wood depending on the efficiency of the previous model.
Wreckit- you really need to try  a G, it's more tolerant of junk wood and neglect than you might think. :)
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 09:15:28 AM »

No thanks. This C is the last stove I buy. When it dies I'm going back to propane, maybe sooner than that

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »

I'm afraid if you are waiting for that C to die you'll be waiting a long time. You got to keep that 'maybe sooner' phrase alive or you'll get yourself in trouble.   I got a G sitting beside my C, but that C has made me retire my splitter and I'm not real anxious  to go back there. If it's up to 23" it goes in whole and I know I can't do that with a G.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 05:29:14 PM »

What is meant when you suggest that gassers do not like being over sized?

mlappin, do you have any idea when there wifi capabilities might come out? Is this hearsay of do you think its for sure??

When they sit around and idle a lot they make creosote, which on a conventional isn’t that big a deal, most of it will burn up eventually, but gassers are made different, they get just enough air to the top chamber to keep the fire going and bake the fuel (wood) to release wood gas, they never really get hot enough in the top to take care of excessive creosote until the very end of a load of fuel when its nothing but coals and charred wood.

For several years they were hoping to still use the Logo controller from Siemens, unfortunately Siemens has some conditions that management doesn’t find appealing. Last I heard they were working with a local person to have their own controller much like the FireStar.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana