Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Restrictor Tube  (Read 10187 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Restrictor Tube
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:43:08 PM »

How the hek do u get this restrictor rube off??? I read the manual and that didn't help...do u pry it off from inside under the crates???????

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: Restrictor Tube
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »

It's been so long, I can't remember.  That sounds about right, though.

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 03:04:45 AM »

How the hek do u get this restrictor rube off??? I read the manual and that didn't help...do u pry it off from inside under the crates???????

I looked  at mine . Im only guessing but it looks like they silicon ed it in there . remove front fan  take off first grate  put a pipe in the tube  that just fits and tap it with hammer should slide out .  This only a guess . I looked at mine before it was fired . It had black silicone between the 2 size of pipe .

Heat550

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 03:17:47 AM »

i felt that bead of caulk when i stuck my hand in there....i will try that when i get home and see how it goes. i think having more air through the grates will be better. Front blower will push majority of the air thru the grates and the back blower only pushes gases down back into the fire

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »

A little off topic, but in that same area of the boil as the tube, does your boiler have a cavity between the fire box and the outer plate that the fan housing bolts to? On my 200 if I remove the fan and stick my arm in the hole the fan came out of, there is a maybe 3" deep cavity. Last fall this was probably a 1/4 full of creosote. Am wondering if holding ash/creosote in this area could rust it out quicker? I don't see any easy way to clean it out, it was such a bad angle trying to bend my arm in the right direction to stick it in there and a get a scoop of creosote, plus some of it was hard so had a chunk of wood or screw driver trying to chisel it out, wasn't a fun project.

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 08:48:45 AM »

Yeah I seen the same cavity....I was trying to brainstorm on how to effectively clean it. Lol

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 02:12:00 AM »

Yeah I seen the same cavity....I was trying to brainstorm on how to effectively clean it. Lol

I would figure out how it got in there . Did it back flow from ash box ? mine was always dry on old 200css .
try electric Heat gun warm it up mop it out . I would not use a lp torch .

Heat550

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:55:01 AM »

On mine it appears that creosote builts up in the fan area just like it does in the rest of the firebox. I don't know if what was in the bottom of the cavity is from what falls off of the fan and fan tube or if it builds there naturally.

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 08:53:15 AM »

i have no build up in either from nor rear fan area....tho my 400 was made just this year....maybe they changed something???

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »

My 200 is 2 or 3 years old, not sure if they would have changed something in that short of time or not. Is there any rhyme or reason as to where or how creosote builds up, such as by an air leek? How dry is your wood? Wood I'm using (birch) was cut down 2 years ago, but not cut up into stove length till this fall, only time I split it is if I doesn't fit through the door opening. Plus once in awhile trees that were just cut this fall mix in, I'm guessing the main reason for my creosote buildup is wet wood.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »

How full do you load the firebox?  I get much cleaner and longer burns (for the amount of wood used) if I keep the firebox less than half full.  I often keep it at 1/3 full and centered over the grates.  I can run about 12 hours like that and I have very little creosote.  My theory is that the fire gets airspace inside of the firebox to burn nice and hot and keeps the creosote down quite a bit.

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »

Get a moisture meter for your wood habor fieght has pretty cheap its shocker how wet wood really is I have dead standing reading 40% its got to be the wood. I'm only guessing.

Heat550

hrc200x

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 09:17:53 PM »

This time of  year with lows in the 20s and highs around 40 I keep the firebox pretty empty, just incase the flapper door does decide to stick open it will be that much less wood to burn out of control. I've been trying to load the wood in a U shape. put the coals/unburned stuff in the middle and stack the fresh load of wood on each side of it going up the sides a little ways. My theory was that then the flame could shoot strait up and heat up the metal of the firebox rather than needing to burn through the wood, or around it. Then as the old coals/wood that was over the grates burned up in theory the side round wood would roll into the grate area. Just something trying the past few days.

I did stick last years wood with a tester from the neighbors, can't recall what it was, maybe in the 20's. What is moisture content should a person shoot for?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 10:24:31 PM »

My 200 is 2 or 3 years old, not sure if they would have changed something in that short of time or not. Is there any rhyme or reason as to where or how creosote builds up, such as by an air leek? How dry is your wood? Wood I'm using (birch) was cut down 2 years ago, but not cut up into stove length till this fall, only time I split it is if I doesn't fit through the door opening. Plus once in awhile trees that were just cut this fall mix in, I'm guessing the main reason for my creosote buildup is wet wood.

gotta split it at least, leaving it in big pile only lets dry whats on the surface of the pile
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 03:33:34 AM »

A little off topic, but in that same area of the boil as the tube, does your boiler have a cavity between the fire box and the outer plate that the fan housing bolts to? On my 200 if I remove the fan and stick my arm in the hole the fan came out of, there is a maybe 3" deep cavity. Last fall this was probably a 1/4 full of creosote. Am wondering if holding ash/creosote in this area could rust it out quicker? I don't see any easy way to clean it out, it was such a bad angle trying to bend my arm in the right direction to stick it in there and a get a scoop of creosote, plus some of it was hard so had a chunk of wood or screw driver trying to chisel it out, wasn't a fun project.

I was looking at 400 tonight and I had 200 also . This only one more guess on all your creosote by fan . I may be wrong but . if the ashes were full and hole going from fan to ash pan was plugged  it make lots of creosote . and if it was dripping down in to ash pan in front . the creosote would follow down and find that hole and run right back in the fan hole . ( it does this when fast off )
My old 200 only did it once when I left ashes build up to much in warmer weather .  Myself I have found out yes the hard way . if your burning any kind of wetter wood you need keep stove ashes cleaned out , it takes all the draft stove has to burn off the steam .  and yes in the perfect world wood all dry to 20 % In the real world your going to need to burn a bit of wet wood when your out of dry sometimes . at less this rule apply s to my 200css Im only on my 2nd week on 400 dcss  But Its acting the same
I put in a piece of wetter oak in tonight steam 10 mins and back just little smoke . another thing I do is my ashes never get up to the level of fan inlet hole in ash box .  this really isn't stressed enough in Manuel.  I check that hole every time I take ashes out .
you get down there with head lamp you can see it easy . ( 150 lum head lamp 12.97 walmart ) keeping that fan hole clear is the difference between a serious heating monster . and a creosote mess . and yes clean stove you'll burn more wood :) Ok I guess I carried on about that enough :)  Hope info helps . I was heating 6600 sq ft with my old 200 css I was  running it as fine tuned heating machine :) A.K.A:  Dragon 1  :thumbup:

Heat550

On the splitting wood note yes I split all my wood and wetter smaller dryer bigger . hour meter on splitter  just clicked to 600 hours
it was put in action in about 2003 .   :thumbup:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:49:32 AM by heat550 »
Pages: [1] 2 3