Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: shaker grates 200css  (Read 4434 times)

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
shaker grates 200css
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:53:30 AM »

Has anyone used shaker grates for burning wood ? and how do you shake them where does the rod go ?
And how much are they ? is it worth the money . ? pondering shaker grates in old 200css . thanks for any info .

Heat550

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: shaker grates 200css
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:01:35 AM »

Mine has shaker grates and I burn wood most of the time.  The rod goes into the shaker arm in front of and below the firebox door.  They are definitely worth the money.  My dad had a 200css without them while mine had them, and mine was far easier to clean ashes out of than his.  I can also give my grates a jiggle and clear some ashes out of the firebox so air blow from under the coals better. 

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 02:59:08 AM »

Mine has shaker grates and I burn wood most of the time.  The rod goes into the shaker arm in front of and below the firebox door.  They are definitely worth the money.  My dad had a 200css without them while mine had them, and mine was far easier to clean ashes out of than his.  I can also give my grates a jiggle and clear some ashes out of the firebox so air blow from under the coals better.

I was thinking they be pretty slick for wood also . So I understand it the rod you use to shake it is inside the fire box so you can grab it with gloves on and move it back and forth ? I never seen one that is why your getting the detail questions . I think it be great on my 400 dcss also to give a shake between loads of wood .  Im working on my old 200css brothers going set it up at his house . So Next question what kind of cost is the shaker grates ? compared to regular grates .

Heat550

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »

The shaker arm is outside of the firebox.  There is a piece of pipe that slips onto it for leverage when shaking.  There's also a forked arm that flips down to limit the shaker grates from opening completely vertical so you don't dump all of your coals into the ash tube.  You flip the forked arm out of the way when you want to really clean out the firebox, or when you're burning coal and you want to bust up the clinkers.  With the arm flipped down to limit the shaker grate movement, they'll move a few degrees which is enough to get wood ashes to fall into the ash tube and let the air blow from under the wood better.  When I tried coal a while back, I blocked off the air outlet that blows into the front of the firebox above the grates with the included block off plate and I removed the restricting tube in the air outlet that blows into the ash tube under the firebox so all of my blower's air blows up under the grates.  That's how it needs to be to burn coal, but I've found that the wood also burns so much better like that too.

I've included a few pictures.  Let me know if you have more questions about it.

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 07:48:35 AM »

Guy by me has a 2008 200model for sale for 2k obo...great condition but he says their is a small leak in the firebox at one of the welds but only leaks when the water is heated up??? I'm going to take a look at it....may be a good investment if I can get it for cheap...he didn't seem like he knew much about boilers at all...it could be nothing....and even if I have to fix or replace it may still be worth it

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »

If the leak is weldable, it sounds like a good deal.  The bottom is sand and firebrick, so they normally don't rot out, plus they're made of 409 stainless.  I think I paid over $8k for mine in 2008. 

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 02:35:02 AM »

Thanks for taking the time for pictures It all makes sense now . Its alot fancier then I thought it would be .
so when burning wood you can just give it a little shake to keep your coals but ash goes down correct .
I never burned coal yet .  Think it be worth $750 for my 400dcss ? So in future I give coal a try also . Might have to
save up for couple years to buy shaker grates .  :o  My 400dcss can really make some ash fast below 0 f .
great pictures thanks again . do you ever have jam issues while burning wood on shaker grates ? Like chunk wood coals
getting lodged in wrong .

Heat550

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 02:44:38 AM »

Guy by me has a 2008 200model for sale for 2k obo...great condition but he says their is a small leak in the firebox at one of the welds but only leaks when the water is heated up??? I'm going to take a look at it....may be a good investment if I can get it for cheap...he didn't seem like he knew much about boilers at all...it could be nothing....and even if I have to fix or replace it may still be worth it

Key would be if had water checked and if he ran additive in boiler water .  :thumbup:
on a side note mine only leaked when it was 35f cold and fire was out 40f it stopped leaking  . check for blatter seepage . :)

Heat550

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 04:09:46 AM »

yeha the dealer told him it was the baldder, he didnt seem to know much nor really care...just wants to get rid of it... i think i may go check it out