Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: temperature controller  (Read 8927 times)

tompkins_donald

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL 4036
  • it's a CL 4436
    • View Profile
temperature controller
« on: March 08, 2014, 06:24:19 AM »

i've had a 4036 for about 9 years, mostly trouble free...last night i noticed that the house temp was down, and that the digital temperature display on the furnace was out...went out to look more closely, and noticed that, altho the damper was closed, the lights on the furnace still worked...by the time i got back in the house, the temp display was back on and the damper was now open (water temp was down to 166- it's set at 195)...it worked until this morning, when the same thing happened - temp display was out and the damper was closed...naturally i was confused...

thinking loose wire or bad connection...am going to start looking this morning as soon as the sun gets over the mountain and warms things up a bit more...i've got an oil furnace and a wood stove so the house isn't cold but i'd like to fix this...dealer won't be available til Monday...

anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:28:23 AM by tompkins_donald »

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: electrical issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:38:35 AM »

I'd call corporate or PM one of the guys on here that know a lot about them, Boilerman was just on here a few minutes ago, try him.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

merrellroofing

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:51:28 AM »

Guy down the road had a wire melt. A wire runs across over top of the door, that powers the solenoid and damper. He would leave his door open while gathering and loading wood. Flames coming out the door got too hot above the door and melted the wire.

tompkins_donald

• Training Wheels
  • it's a CL 4436
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 08:38:44 AM »

think it's the thermostat...i've got power to the thermostat, and it will work properly for a while, but then the temp readout goes dark and the damper closes...it stays off for a while and then will come back on again on its own...it's about 10 years old so that might be the issue...not sure tho...looks like the company that makes them is still around - i also have two dealers within an hour drive...will check to see if they might have the part in stock or might have any ideas...

still open to ideas...i've got heat in the house from oil furnace/woodstove, and can keep the wood furnace from freezing, so it's not the end of the world, but would prefer not to burn the oil if i don't have to...

tompkins_donald

• Training Wheels
  • it's a CL 4436
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »

Guy down the road had a wire melt. A wire runs across over top of the door, that powers the solenoid and damper. He would leave his door open while gathering and loading wood. Flames coming out the door got too hot above the door and melted the wire.

that's sounds possible but would that also kill power to the thermostat?

tompkins_donald

• Training Wheels
  • it's a CL 4436
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »

and i've been calling it a thermostat but i think it's called a temperature controller...neither dealer in my area is working today but i see them online in the $50-70 range...doesn't look like it's too hard to swap out the old one for a new one...of course all this assumes that the temperature controller is the problem...

anyone ever have a similar problem and how did you fix? 

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 09:23:18 AM »

What brand temp controller do you have(aquastat)?

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 05:13:31 PM »

Donald is your controller adjustable or fixed?
If adjustable, it would have a set button and an up & down arrow to the right.
If so, I would think it is the controller. Should be able to get one from the local CB dealer for around $55 or so.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 07:31:47 PM »

I'd call corporate or PM one of the guys on here that know a lot about them, Boilerman was just on here a few minutes ago, try him.

Makes me wanna wire up a computer to my wood boiler.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »

Check the fuse holder by the on and off switch ! Sounds like a bad connection some where
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

tompkins_donald

• Training Wheels
  • it's a CL 4436
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 05:39:09 AM »

What brand temp controller do you have(aquastat)?

It's a Love TS83110R...looks a lot like this one:

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Temperature/Switches/DigitalPanelMount/SeriesTS

altho i can't find one that matches the model #...

tompkins_donald

• Training Wheels
  • it's a CL 4436
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 05:46:35 AM »

Donald is your controller adjustable or fixed?
If adjustable, it would have a set button and an up & down arrow to the right.
If so, I would think it is the controller. Should be able to get one from the local CB dealer for around $55 or so.

it's adjustable...think you're right...crazy thing is that it will work for a while and then quit - i switched it on this morning and it worked for about half an hour... :bash:

tompkins_donald

• Training Wheels
  • it's a CL 4436
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 05:56:36 AM »

Check the fuse holder by the on and off switch ! Sounds like a bad connection some where

yep i thought that was it too...the fuse looks ok and i cleaned the fuse and the holder just to make sure...i've got power to the lights so if it is a bad connection it shouldn't be too hard to isolate...just have to break out the circuit tester and try not to shock myself too badly...

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 06:59:41 AM »

Check the amp draw on your solenoid.
We've built a few OWB's using that controller and we have had a faulty blower motor cause the controller to act up.
They used to have both electrical overload and thermal protection. (It's been about 6 or 7 years)
If you don't have access to an amp meter, you could pull the hot wire from your solenoid and restart the control and see if it continues to function for a couple hours.
If your solenoid has gotten very hot recently, it could be damaged.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

tompkins_donald

• Training Wheels
  • it's a CL 4436
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 04:55:23 AM »

Check the amp draw on your solenoid.
We've built a few OWB's using that controller and we have had a faulty blower motor cause the controller to act up.
They used to have both electrical overload and thermal protection. (It's been about 6 or 7 years)
If you don't have access to an amp meter, you could pull the hot wire from your solenoid and restart the control and see if it continues to function for a couple hours.
If your solenoid has gotten very hot recently, it could be damaged.

that sounds like a possibility - overload protection would explain why it (the controller) comes on for a while and then kicks off...after it cools down it starts up again on its own...i have noticed that the controller will work when it's been powered down for a while...i don't have an amp meter but will take a look at the solenoid this morning - it's probably due for cleaning and lube anyway...

today's Monday so i should be able to get ahold of my dealer this morning...would like to be up and running again by the time the cold weather returns on Thursday night...minus 2F forecast for Friday morning...

thank you all for the help - i didn't realize this forum existed until a few days ago - i'm sure i will be a frequent user going forward...i've had my OWB for almost 10 years and im still learning how to use it...i don't mind the work that goes along with it, and esp appreciate not having to pay $3-$4 a gallon for oil...
Pages: [1] 2