Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: SAW DUST  (Read 4285 times)

wrudoing

SAW DUST
« on: December 24, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »

I have 2 CB 6048 burners 1 for my business and 1 at the house the business burner heats 15,000 sq ft and the house burner is heating around 5000 plus the hot water. My point here is there are other options that are easier and safer than fire wood. I have not burnt any firewood yet this season it's all most january, my situtation is alittle different as we generate wood scraps and loads of saw dust, deliveries produce pallets, we use 30gal garbage bags for the sawdust in an hour or 2 you can bag enough for a couple of weeks. Saw dust burns excellent with alittle scrap mixed in. When it gets real cold 10-20 degrees I'll have to mix firewood in to get the overnight burn.  There are opportunities all over to get this kind of fuel source and it's allmost like recycling. PS. there is a learning curve as to how to fire and the damper needs to be adjusted so it doesn't open as far you don't need alot of air.  Any Thoughts?

quaig

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: mahoning
  • OWF Model: 200
    • View Profile
Re: SAW DUST
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »

i was wondering about this have a place near me that grinds all there wood   to shavings and has a magnet that takes the metal out did not know if it would burn or smolder mostly pine but that should not make a problem. do you think?

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »

Not so much nowadays, but in the past sawmills burnt their sawdust, shavings, bark, trimings etc  in order to produce steam to power the mill.  Give it a try and see how it works.
Muskoka, Ont

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »

What about bark, wood shavings from split wood (kinlin size)?  I get 55 gallon drums full of that stuff quite often from my firewood business.  I'm sure it would burn but would it provide the btu's to heat a house?  Same kinda question as the saw dust.

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »

i thought about trying to burn wood chips from my wood chipper.didnt know if they would burn or smolder

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »

I would experiment and see how it goes.  Try some bark and shavings with larger wood.  It may only be effective during the shoulder months but if its free and easily available you have nothing to lose.
Muskoka, Ont

wrudoing

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »

I have the kids bag it into 30 gal garbage bags 1 bag in the morning with a few pcs of fire wood good to go all day i have burnt about 300 bags this year so far.

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:25:07 PM »

bags of saw dust or wood chips

wrudoing

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »

saw dust (mainly off of the planner and molder)

lasor1

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster ss
  • OWF Model: Heatmaster mf 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 10:39:34 AM »

I bet if you didn't want to use plastic bags you could use a tobacco baler. Could put cardboard on bottom fill with sawdust and small pieces put a piece of cardboard on top and compress it into a bale. I'd say that would last for a while. And on top of that if you grow corn or tobacco I'd say you could bale stalks and burn them. Just a thought for some more renewable free energy!