Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Splitter Project  (Read 2640 times)

uncle

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
New Splitter Project
« on: May 10, 2013, 12:40:40 PM »

I am getting everything together to start a new splitter build. I have hydraulis pump off a John Deere 450 dozer. It was front mounted to the engine in the original setup. I know it ran the 6-way blade on the dozer, would it be appropriate to use on a splitter?
I have read through most of the posts and have learned a lot. I am going to put the wedge opposite the hitch, I never thought about all the wood piling up between the truck and the splitter.
Thanks for the great knowledge here.
Brian

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: New Splitter Project
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 04:31:40 PM »

I am getting everything together to start a new splitter build. I have hydraulis pump off a John Deere 450 dozer. It was front mounted to the engine in the original setup. I know it ran the 6-way blade on the dozer, would it be appropriate to use on a splitter?
I have read through most of the posts and have learned a lot. I am going to put the wedge opposite the hitch, I never thought about all the wood piling up between the truck and the splitter.
Thanks for the great knowledge here.
Brian
you need to find out how many gallon per minute that pump is. what horsepower was the john deere. you might have a hard time running the pump if it is too big. i am guessing the john deere might be 60 hp or better and your pump at full gpm (guessing 22 gpm at 2,500 psi would require about 40 hp)

good rule of thumb is  HP= GPM x psi x .0007
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

uncle

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »

The engine in the dozer was, I believe, 38-42hp.
I will see if I can track down the specs.

Brian

uncle

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 09:05:44 PM »

The specs show it to be a 23gmp gear pump and my motor is a 15hp. If I can get them coupled, does anyone know if it would work?

Brian

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:02:46 PM »

I am using a 28gpm two state pump with a 20 hp motor! Is your pup single stage or two stage? That will determine if you can use it with only 15 hp
Michael West
Central Ohio