Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Thoughts on thinking "outside" the box..so as not to get burned.  (Read 2588 times)

lugnut

• View Profile
Thoughts on thinking "outside" the box..so as not to get burned.
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:08:55 PM »

Okay guys here we go.....just some thoughts/ideas I had regarding the Shaver units while I was perusing other furnace manufacture's websites.

1) Anyone ever thought about making a "removable" ash pan for these pigs?  I think this would be beneficial in emptying the ash pan as opposed to shoveling it out...first having to locate a flat enough shovel the correct size to be able to pull the ash from the box.

2)  Does anyone have a "surge protector" on their digital t-stats in the rear of the furnace?

3)  Regarding the rear door...which is NOT insulated...what kind of insulation should I place in there?  R-value and how deep/thick/type?  guess I should have done this before, but it's never too late...at least not yet.  I placed insulation in the firebox door, but it has already turned crusty and black.  I also plan this next spring to disassemble the furnace and re-do the insulation on the entire unit. 

4)  Has anyone changed out the roof on their Shaver from the corrugated tin to solid steel?  I've been thinking about doing that this Spring...provided I haven't run the thing over by then with my truck.   :bash:

5)  Has anyone modified the firebox door from what it is to maybe something similar to the portage and main boiler style "pyramid" door?  I think this is the company that has that style door.  There's no chance of warping as with these Shaver doors.

6)  Any thoughts on tossing out the silicone for sealing the door and using "fire rope" instead?  I'd like to re-seal my door gasket, but now is NOT the time to do so using silicone.

7)  How does one go about removing creosote stains from the panels of this furnace?  My tan is slowly but  quickly turning black.   :bash:

Okay, I think this is about all that I have come up with.  All you Shaver folks...you should go on the naturescomfort website and just read the owner's manual....wow, Shaver could LEARN a thing or two from these folks.

Lugnut
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:42:29 PM by lugnut »
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Ridgekid

Re: Thoughts on thinking "outside" the box..so as not to get burned.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:02:29 PM »

lugnut-

For item 7 I recommend: http://www.meangreendegreaser.com/ Not sure how well it would work on a well developed stain, but it's keeping mine clean.

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on thinking "outside" the box..so as not to get burned.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 05:16:48 AM »

A paste of baking soda and water should remove light creosote.
I have a GFI outlet that I plug my boiler in to.
The P&M's use .500" foil backed insulation glued on their rear access doors.
Can't help with the rest.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter