Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 3way zone valve issue  (Read 2405 times)

muffin

• View Profile
3way zone valve issue
« on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:12 AM »

I set my system up to work on a single pump and used 3-way zone valves to control the flow to my various exchangers.  I had an issue with my pool plumbing and had to rework some of hte pipes.  I noticed that the exchanger is very hot even though the 3-way valve is supposed to be off to it.  Do these leak a little?  The pex piping is fairly short, maybe about 6 feet on either side of the exchanger back to the main loop.  Could it just be conducting?  I am worried about this because the pool plumbing is just standard PVC and it threads into this exchanger.  One of the issues is that this adapter started leaking.  I was thinking it might be due to thermal change. 

When the pool pump is running it keeps it cool, but it only runs part of the day.

Thoughts?

I looked at my data.  I think the valve is malfunctioning.  Back in November, when the valve was off I would see the temperature on the Hx drop to almost ambient.  Sometime about mid November, I start seeing the off temp climbing.  Now it is pretty much stuck on it looks.  Any idea what fails on these and is it repairable?  It is only 1-2 years old.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:07:59 AM by muffin »

yoderheating

• View Profile
Re: 3way zone valve issue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »

I've seen the seals in the valves go out. Most likely not losing enough heat to worry about but when I want to be completely sure I put in a manual three way valve also. 
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:03:02 AM »

I've seen the seals in the valves go out. Most likely not losing enough heat to worry about but when I want to be completely sure I put in a manual three way valve also.

I have 3 of these valves in my system.  I believe one of the others is leaking too.  So 2 out of 3 are bad in about a year.  Is this normal?  These are not cheap.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »

I've heard that acidic water will eat the seals out but I have no idea if it is true.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 05:58:24 AM »

I've heard that acidic water will eat the seals out but I have no idea if it is true.

I have not tested my water since I put it in a year ago.  I suppose I could test it again.