Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sizing copper coil for storage  (Read 2522 times)

Range91

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ultimizer 34-44 shaker
    • View Profile
Sizing copper coil for storage
« on: January 27, 2019, 06:32:17 AM »

I can't find any info on how long (surface area ) or btu rating for copper coil heat exchanger. I'm looking to add 500 gallons of storage to my system. Any input is appreciated

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Sizing copper coil for storage
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 02:26:20 PM »

Why are you wanting more storage? 500 gallons is nearly useless in most systems. Output of soft copper is very subjective to flow rate and water temp, but 100k is pretty easy

Range91

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ultimizer 34-44 shaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 04:33:57 PM »

I'm wanting to add storage for efficiency of stove and going to do solar in the summer for domestic water so that I don't have to burn wood year round. Burning wood saves me 100$ a month in electricity but it's a pain to do in the summer would rather shut it down. Wouldn't flow rate affect recovery time only as long as it is insulated well? If you have 180 degree water flowing through a submerged coil iits surrounding will eventually get 180 correct? Just more coils the more surface area so the faster this would happen. Correct me if I'm wrong I'm always up for learning

I think I know now what you are saying about flow. It's not so much the heating up of the buffer is the problem but the actual output of it when btu's are called for correct ?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:02:45 PM by Range91 »

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 05:16:23 PM »

Good thinking, that’s the best use of a storage tank that I can think of! It’s a buffering tank that after a stove has been sitting idle for the pas 8 hours because the sun is heating the greenhouse and then the sun goes down so the demand is fast and serious, the buffer tank simply adds to the  amount of heat needed right away, giving the stove time to react to the load. Good luck with your project and I’ll be following but probably not commenting much as it’s difficult to post when I’m on the bad boy list, pm me if you like.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »

I know some people have used pex in storage tanks just cant find the link I had for it. It was not as efficient but quite a bit cheaper. I was researching for myself but I bought a different stove and did not really need it then. So I cut the front of my tank out and used it for wood storage by the front of the boiler.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 06:41:45 PM »

A higher flow rate reduces delta T, increasing output. The odds are slim that the tank would ever meet boiler temp, there will always be a bit of a differential. More water will not increase efficiency of the stove, only create a buffer for heat draws. As for the solar ordeal, I'm not sure I understand your theory. Do you plan to have 3 internal coils in this tank for boiler, solar, and domestic? I feel like an indirect water heater would be a much better fit if the only objective here is for heating domestic water. Again, 500 gallons will not help efficiency of the stove by any noticeable amount. Unless your heat load is overrunning the boiler, the added water will do nothing for you

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 04:17:07 AM »

There's a guy by the name of Tom from American Solar Technics that designs coils in tanks. Generally connected to Euro-style gassers that need storage and batch burn. I talked to him once, seemed very knowledgeable.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com