Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Chain/Bar question  (Read 3433 times)

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
Chain/Bar question
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:13:09 AM »

Saw chain question from a relatively experienced operator.  I have cut and split probably 50 cords of wood in the past 2 years so I have operated a saw quite a bit.  I just got the new 562xp and am experiencing something new to me.  The best way I can describe it is when you are cutting a log and it begins to pinch your bar and chain b/c of the pressure.  However, in my situtation the bar/chain are not being pinched.  It cuts great about 1/2 to 2/3 the way through the log and then begins to bog down and not cut.  the chain begins smoking and I have to roll the log over to get through it.  What's going on? My experience tells me the chain is dulled but it still feels sharp and still cuts great the first 1/2 to 2/3 the way through the log.  What do you think is going on?

I think I'm going to leave that chain on there and sharpen it.  Then try cutting again and see how it does.  My only explanation is the chain is dull.

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Re: Chain/Bar question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 04:09:40 PM »

saw is dull or not sharpen wright.if it a simi chesil chain 30degre angle or full chesil 25 degre and file drages. i would use guides on both

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »

Check and see if you have a burr on the bottom of your bar. Also, pull your chain off and measure the width of your bar on the top and compare that measurement to the width on the bottom. Sounds to me like you may have gotten your chain/bar way too hot. The weight of your saw should be all that's necessary to through cut ALMOST any wood.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »

Good idea too is flip your bar upside down.. like when you put a new chain on..Get more bar life and more even wear.. If you have burs on the bar you can file them off..But far as the smoking part..Your chain is dull.. Just because you chain feels sharp and its smoking..It needs a file..Having a sharp chain it should be effort less cutting wood..Good idea to do also is  quick file like every or every other fill up and rack your rackers down here and there as your chain teeth get smaller....World of difference when it comes to cutting..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

revver6

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 02:54:44 AM »

check the height of the rakers also,as you sharpen the chain ,maintain the proper raker height.

tawilson1152

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:44:45 AM »

Make sure the cutters are the same length or close to it. Eyesweet is usually close enough.

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:01:01 PM »

thanks for the suggestions.  Its  a brand new bar so all of the suggestions of rotating bar etc are null.  With a brand new chain it was like butter.  With a resharpend chain, I noticed a VERY significant difference.  I filed the chain (first time I've ever done this myself) but there wasn't much difference.  I just bought a file/guide and ran the file across each tooth 2-3 times.  Was that not enough?  I did not file the rakers b/c I'm not sure exactly how to do that.  I need to go back and read a previous post from somebody on here to see how to do that. 

I ended up just switching chains (to a resharpend chain).  The difference in used chain (resharpend) vs. brand new chain on my new 562 is much more noticeable than on my old 359.

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »

it sounds to me as if you have done as i did the saw is trying to cut in a circle becouse one side is sharper then the other , the father inlaw taught me file one side then turn the saw around and file the other this way your motion is alwas the same becouse you are not changeing hands
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

Drifter

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: None yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:31:02 PM »

I have a Husky the wife bought me for Christmas 3 years ago. It was doing the lock the nose roller trick on me. First time was 10 minutes of use. No I didn't get it into the dirt and yes I did grease it. I tried another bar and now am on my 3rd bar. The oiler doesn't put out enough and in their wisdom it is not an adjustable oiler. Think is a 560E.

It is now a garage ornament and I bought a used 029 that is my everyday saw. Moral of the story make sure the oiler is putting out for you.