Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: List of what to look for in new OWB  (Read 2990 times)

PhinPhan

• OWF Brand: WoodMaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnace Info
List of what to look for in new OWB
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:43:51 AM »

I was wondering if we should compile a list of what to look for in, things to consider, etc... in purchasing a new OWB.  We could create it and make it a sticky at the top of this forum, I think this would help new people to get a quick what to look for and things to consider.

Just reply to this post with your suggestions, comments, helpful items, then we can create a new topic with all if the items in it.
Pomeroy, OH
WoodMaster 4400

mcarter

• OWF Brand: HeatMasterSS
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
Re: List of what to look for in new OWB
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:14:26 AM »

Local dealer was a priority for me.

I took a lot of time researching and considering the different types of steel.  Mild, Boiler Plate, Carbon, 304, 409 - this really consumed the largest part of my decision making process.  I want my boiler to last as long as possible.  If I have to have a welder come fix a leak, that could easily soak up the electricity savings for a year or two.
HeatMasterSS MF5000E by Yoder Heating
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
8lb Wood Splitter with 'High Performance' Fiberglass Handle
5 acres

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »

Wow...I was just thinking about something last night along these same lines.  Foe example, I wish that "I" had read this forum all the way through along with the arborist forum, prior to purchasing my Shaver.  I still may have bought the Shaver, BUT.....I would have known ahead of time what modifications I was going to have to make prior to firing it up.  So I will add my $0.02 to the soon to be growing list:

1)  Look at literature/website for perspective OWBs and read their charts for square footage of your property and to what size OWB you really "should" have.  All too often folks buy OWBs that will "just barely" meet their needs and wished in the long run they would have gone that "one size up."

2)  See if there is an "option" list for the OWB you are interested in.  I highly suggest these options:

a)  IF a larger fire box door is available, opt for it as it will ease trying to get a bug piece of tree into a standard size opening. 

b)  If a larger blower motor ( for those OWBs that require one) is available, opt for it.

c)   If an auto damper (positive closure) is available, opt for it.  This will work more efficiently that not having one, plus less hassle.

d)  If an Aqua-stat or Ranco T-stat is available, opt for it...as you can set your burn times along with seeing what the temperature in in the water tank.

e)   If additional insulation is available, opt for it. 

4)  Compare fire boxes...not all are as they are claimed to be.

5)  Read over warranties very carefully

6)  Consider a company that has EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE  "before" "during" and most importantly "after" the sale.

7)  Avoid companies that only want your money and the heck with you "after" they have your money....and just by reading this forum one can gather which companies these are.

8)  Dealer location.  This IS important because it's easier dealing with a local dealership versus one that is 500 miles from you.

9)  Return policy...yes I know this "should" be under warranty info, but sometime is not.

10)  BBB (Better Business Bureau)  Check this site for whatever company you decide to go with.  One can learn much just by going here.

11)  Overall construction of OWB...stay away from "shoddy" construction if at all possible.

12)  Are you going for the overall quality of furnace?  Suggestions from friends?  Or wanting to save money going with a more simple OWB versus one with all the bells and whistles?

These are some of my suggestions.  Surely someone with more skills in writing can make my suggestion sound smoother than I did...but you get the gist of my suggestions. 

As I said in the beginning...I wished I had come to this site before making my purchase.  There "really" is much to consider before making the leap in buying an OWB.

And for my own understanding...just what in the heck is a "sticky?"

Lugnut

Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

mcarter

• OWF Brand: HeatMasterSS
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »

Check the Better Business Bureau website for the company that makes the wood boiler you are interested in.  This might save you some headache and dollars later on.
HeatMasterSS MF5000E by Yoder Heating
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
8lb Wood Splitter with 'High Performance' Fiberglass Handle
5 acres

PhinPhan

• OWF Brand: WoodMaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnace Info
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 12:24:27 PM »

I was thinking also about the pipe and how it is buried.  This is one of the things I overlooked when doing my research, however it is a critical piece of the install.  If you are heating the ground, you are losing a ton of heat before it ever makes it to the house.  Maybe we can have some different options and how effective they are.

I used the Time Saver Pex.  I used 6" corrugated pipe, which I put the Time Saver Pex and my electric in, I have about a 40' run, buried about 4 1/2' - 5'.  This has worked great for me, I have no snow melt on the ground where my pipes are.
Pomeroy, OH
WoodMaster 4400

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 06:53:39 PM »

As far as underground goes I used 120' of logstor, it is buried about 2' down. As far as what to look for in a owb, I like a round fire box and as much heat surface/transfer area as possible.   

abarton

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: taylor
  • OWF Model: 450
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »

More than anything is what should someone look for in the purchase of a new OWB is what are people in their locality using.  Some people just want to buy one and pay to have it installed and find a guy in the newspaper to bring them firewood once a month or whatever.  They may have no real knowledge of what looks right or wrong during an install and may wind up with a really good OWB that has had every aspect of it installed wrong and that will give them the wrong feeling of the potential savings that they afford.  Maby we could offer them what to look for as far as materials and manufacturers used and real life info on what others are using that "works" regardless of what somebody selling a product is telling them.  Up North a natural draft boiler may work well because of the colder temps but down in the South if you want to keep a fire burning you had better have a blower model.  I think thats the kind of info they need   Andrew   
"I could have saved a fortune when I built my house if only I had not installed any light switches but instead straight wired all the lights. I'm the only one that realizes they also turn off"

ptt811

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Wood Boiler USA...LLC.
  • OWF Model: Wood Boiler Standard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 03:54:35 AM »

One thing I liked about mine was the Door...It is as large as the fire box for easy Clean out and loading. When you open it there is no ledge to mess with. And also they circulate water through it to recover some heat and also to cool the door to avoid warping.
Wood Boiler USA...
1 st. Year with OWB
West, Central...INDIANA