Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Another Forum  (Read 3556 times)

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Another Forum
« on: November 14, 2013, 07:33:27 AM »

Wow, I went to another forum, and did a Hardy search, and I feel like scum of the earth now.

According to them they don't last more than a few years, smoke the entire world up and use more wood than an army could cut.

My original H2 is still going strong after 15 years, same pump, solenoids, etc I did have to replace the fan after 13 years. Daughter and son in law have it now.

I use far less wood now than I did, I used the H2 for years with uninsulated pipes. It now has insulated pipes.

Tuesday night it got down to 17 degrees, I did about a 3/4 fill at 8 pm, the house was set on 75 degrees. the shop on 55 and I still had about 1/2 a fire box of wood left at 5 am.  I put a few chunks in and when I got home from work at 4 pm still had wood.
Last night I put a little more wood in and it only got down to 22, still had most of the wood left.

What more can you ask for????

I still haven't seen the smoke everyone goes on about.  Maybe for a few minutes but nothing more than any wood stove I have ever seen.

Once the blower shuts off all I can see is a heat pattern in the air and maybe a wisp of smoke.
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Another Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »

You'll read anything, but as far as smoke, they are notorious for being one of the worst in regards to smoke but it mostly goes back to there dealers preaching to everyone to burn the wettest wood possible.

This one by me for example smokes like this 70% of the time
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

freefour

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »

The past couple 20 degree nights/40 degree days have been the first time I got to test the wood consumption of my H4.  I was shocked to see how little wood it burned.  Yesterday, I put in six 8-10" thick silver maple logs in a 24 hour period heating my 2500 sq foot home to 75 degrees.  I am pretty happy about that.  I usually burn more than with my fireplace insert heating one room in the years past. 

As for smoke, I only really notice it when I burn green wood (looks like Scott's picture).  Seasoned wood is the best way to go and I don't notice much smoke at all.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:23:53 AM »

Knock on wood, I have had good luck with mine. Bought it used with a leak for $500. Loaded it on my truck by a near by farmer with his hay bail spear and a lift strap. Drove it home 350 miles. Welded the bad port. Been working great ever since. I too get the same amount of smoke that a typical non gasser gets. That picture of the Hardy scott has is pretty ridiculous. He is obviously burning wood straight off the stump. I put 3 split pieces that are 24 inches long and 14 inches wide by 6-8 inches high every 12 hours along with 1-2 small split pieces to help it get going again.  I am heating a 225 year old 2500 square foot house in New Hampshire. Walls are uninsulated but the attic has R50 and I have 5 year old Pella double pane windows. I am pretty happy with mine. I do have some of the materials to build a new one which will be very similar to the heatmaster 5000he. But until then, this thing works great for me. Here is a picture of it idling and the other is my house.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »

Knock on wood, I have had good luck with mine. Bought it used with a leak for $500. Loaded it on my truck by a near by farmer with his hay bail spear and a lift strap. Drove it home 350 miles. Welded the bad port. Been working great ever since. I too get the same amount of smoke that a typical non gasser gets. That picture of the Hardy scott has is pretty ridiculous. He is obviously burning wood straight off the stump. I put 3 split pieces that are 24 inches long and 14 inches wide by 6-8 inches high every 12 hours along with 1-2 small split pieces to help it get going again.  I am heating a 225 year old 2500 square foot house in New Hampshire. Walls are uninsulated but the attic has R50 and I have 5 year old Pella double pane windows. I am pretty happy with mine. I do have some of the materials to build a new one which will be very similar to the heatmaster 5000he. But until then, this thing works great for me. Here is a picture of it idling and the other is my house.

Great deal u got

When u do another one call me and I'll tell you about some new things about heatmasterss he design that will get you more efficiency
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »

Hondracer, Where in NH do you live?  I'm in the vicinity of Dartmouth College, approx. 15 mile So. east in a small town called Enfield.  I live in my late folks home.  It's an 1840's farmhouse.  I put some money in insulation and what a difference it makes heating it. 

Nice looking layout you have.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:41:50 PM »

Scott

I was planing to run two passes of the flue through 4x8 box pipe about the firebox before it leaves the top of the water tank like the HE models have. What other suggestions might you have?

Roger,

I am in Canterbury. I use to race motocross at the Canaan motocross track so I know right where Enfield is. Did you insulate the walls? Most everything you read about building science says that you get most of your payback out of the attic and air sealing. I have been slowly doing room by room removal of the plaster and lathe, insulating with fiberglass r 13 batts then covering with 1/2 rigid foam board, taping for a vapor barrier then sheet rocking over that. Works well and very much makes a difference.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »

Scott

I was planing to run two passes of the flue through 4x8 box pipe about the firebox before it leaves the top of the water tank like the HE models have. What other suggestions might you have?

Roger,

I am in Canterbury. I use to race motocross at the Canaan motocross track so I know right where Enfield is. Did you insulate the walls? Most everything you read about building science says that you get most of your payback out of the attic and air sealing. I have been slowly doing room by room removal of the plaster and lathe, insulating with fiberglass r 13 batts then covering with 1/2 rigid foam board, taping for a vapor barrier then sheet rocking over that. Works well and very much makes a dif
ference.

There is some new e series u don't see online, I was going to tell you some changes that's been made and such
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 06:39:31 PM »

Where was the hole in your Hardy? I know the older designs would crach around the door but now they have changed the design and havent had many issues. Just curious? How old is the stove?
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290