Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: plate exchanger on WH question  (Read 1821 times)

newmod

• OWF Brand: HOMEMADE
    • View Profile
plate exchanger on WH question
« on: December 24, 2014, 01:15:16 PM »

Should the top of the hx loop tee into the blow off vlave on the side or should I tee it into the hot coming into the top of the water heater?  I only ask because my precious hookups were into the blow off valve that was mounted on the top of WH.  My relief comes out of the side of the WH. 

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: plate exchanger on WH question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »

I prefer to leave the blow-off valve unaltered from the factory.  The hot outlet at the top of the water heater is fine to tee into for your plate exchanger. 

I'm curious, are you using a circulator to move the domestic water through the exchanger or relying on thermosiphon?  Also, have you considered simply using the plate exchanger for on-demand hot water and shutting down the water heater as well as valving it so it's not open to the water system while you're using the plate exchanger?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »

Just put it in series with the cold line going into the tank. Simplest to install and normally works best.

newmod

• OWF Brand: HOMEMADE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 05:37:41 PM »

I prefer to leave the blow-off valve unaltered from the factory.  The hot outlet at the top of the water heater is fine to tee into for your plate exchanger. 

I'm curious, are you using a circulator to move the domestic water through the exchanger or relying on thermosiphon?  Also, have you considered simply using the plate exchanger for on-demand hot water and shutting down the water heater as well as valving it so it's not open to the water system while you're using the plate exchanger?

I just rely on thermosiphon .  The 2 OWB I have owned before I have done the same way without problems.  Thanks