Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 129628 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2011, 07:42:16 PM »

I got the bottom all insulated,and then started hanging insulation on the top and sides. :thumbup:
 :pic:

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »

Here is another shot of some of the insulation going on.I will be putting more up on top than what I have shown here.
Then I included a pic of the stainless steel hanger I made to put my plate exchanger on.So It will not be hanging on the pipes or just on some crummy shelf of some sort.Got to have something nice :thumbup:

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

rtimber

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »

If the current Federal EPA gets its way...   mass storage- batch burning is one method to meet future EPA Particulate Matter emissions...  when current popular units are "smoldering" that is when most of the particulate matter is emitted.   By batch burning... P.M. can be lowered.   I think EPA's Phase 2 is .32...  WoodMaster has recently attained the Phase 2 rating with the EPA with .04....  way below the Phase 2 requirement...  so there is chatter that the EPA may eventually now lower the P.M. emissions allowed... >:(
Luckily, with a changing of the guard in Washington, some of the wind may be taken out of EPA's sails (EPA currently has more power than ever in history) and this whole requirement will be delayed (probably will not go away though)  ...  check out the EPA website, it is scary...   It is extremely expensive for any company to make it through the EPA testing....

Current units purchased are suppose to be "grandfathered"...  at least those that meet the individual State's requirements (ex. U.L. listed, etc.)

Also,  when making your own or buying a home-made unit... note that many insurance companies will not insure the unit OR any damages caused by the unit (sparks) that is NOT U.L. Listed....    Just fyi..   

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2011, 11:19:05 PM »

If the current Federal EPA gets its way...   mass storage- batch burning is one method to meet future EPA Particulate Matter emissions...  when current popular units are "smoldering" that is when most of the particulate matter is emitted.   By batch burning... P.M. can be lowered.   I think EPA's Phase 2 is .32...  WoodMaster has recently attained the Phase 2 rating with the EPA with .04....  way below the Phase 2 requirement...  so there is chatter that the EPA may eventually now lower the P.M. emissions allowed... >:(
Luckily, with a changing of the guard in Washington, some of the wind may be taken out of EPA's sails (EPA currently has more power than ever in history) and this whole requirement will be delayed (probably will not go away though)  ...  check out the EPA website, it is scary...   It is extremely expensive for any company to make it through the EPA testing....

Current units purchased are suppose to be "grandfathered"...  at least those that meet the individual State's requirements (ex. U.L. listed, etc.)

Also,  when making your own or buying a home-made unit... note that many insurance companies will not insure the unit OR any damages caused by the unit (sparks) that is NOT U.L. Listed....    Just fyi..

My state has no standards on these boilers.I am not concerned about how much particulate matter exits my stove.However it will be far less than most out there since it being a gasification unit.

Are you a Woodmaster dealer? ,Or tied to a furnace company?

I really don't see what any of this has to do with my unit.Except for the mass storage I plan to do in the future like I said in the beginning.
People build these all the time.Plus they build cars.etc .etc......
As far as insurance it is taken care of.
I think your statements maybe need to be in the General discussion thread,and not here.Do you have the information on the EPA requirments you are referring to?So others can see them ,and know what the Gov. has planned for all of us. :bash:
I hate to sound rude but "FYI" was noted before this project ever began.
 :thumbup:

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »

Well  anyways back to our regularly scheduled program. >:D
Everything is mostly all insulated.I managed to get the siding on the whole thing except for the very backside corners.thermocouple for the gas chamber is installed.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »

Here in the first pic is a shot of a poor mans sheet metal break :thumbup:
Works in a pinch.I didn't feel like running to the nieghbors to use his siding brake.
I got the roof steel on.Just have to get the ridge cap on for that part to be finnished for now.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »

Haven't chimed in but have been watching progress. Lots of hard work but I am sure this will be a rewarding project for you. Anxious to here and see how it works!! Great looking job thus far.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »

Haven't chimed in but have been watching progress. Lots of hard work but I am sure this will be a rewarding project for you. Anxious to here and see how it works!! Great looking job thus far.
Thanks for the good words. :thumbup:
Yeah I am getting anxious to drag it outside ,and put a fire in it.I just have tons of little things to wrap up that seems to take forever.It's all in the details I guess.
Hold onto your seat ,and we will be firing it up soon. :D
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »

Been busy with family stuff going on so I haven't been able to get much accomplished like I had hoped this week.I did manage to get some more wiring done,and then tonight I made some rat guard trim to go on the bottom of the wall steel.So the rats and mice can't climb in ,and tear stuff up.Caulked up the openings around the exhaust stack,front doors,light box,and switch box.Need to pick up a few more things in town tomorrow.Then hopefully get some more accomplished on it.I also got the ridge cap cut and placed on top of the roof.
Now you have to remember I am hand forming all my trim,as I don't have the funds to go buy new.As is the siding on my stove.It is used siding which came off an E.P.A. building about 10 yrs ago which was given to me in a stack.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »

You can be classified as a "green builder" then. I love recycling building materials. Nothing better, cheaper too. In today's world, new is  not necessarily better, and in alot of cases, inferior.

jenkinswt

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »

I just joined the site because I am interested in possibly building a owb but read through your entire post and anxious to see the results. You are doing a good job of putting your family first and keeping a balance between your job and this project which is alot of work. Keep up the good work.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2011, 10:26:33 PM »

You can be classified as a "green builder" then. I love recycling building materials. Nothing better, cheaper too. In today's world, new is  not necessarily better, and in alot of cases, inferior.
LOL ,yeah youcould say that since the siding is green!
I ,agree some new products aren't as good as the old stuff.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »

I just joined the site because I am interested in possibly building a owb but read through your entire post and anxious to see the results. You are doing a good job of putting your family first and keeping a balance between your job and this project which is alot of work. Keep up the good work.
This is a great site to find information.I am anxious to see it doneas much as all the peeps following along. :thumbup: I  would have it done by now if the temps would stay in the upper 20's or 30's. I took this weekend off as my wife and daughter went out of town, and me and my son stayed home.Ifigured I would get afire in it by sunday.It was so cold today that i didn't even bother working on it.So Me and my son went out to eat, and got a new game for the wii and played it.
Maybe tomorrow will be more productive. :thumbup:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2011, 11:20:44 AM »

This is a great site to find information.I am anxious to see it doneas much as all the peeps following along. :thumbup: I  would have it done by now if the temps would stay in the upper 20's or 30's. I took this weekend off as my wife and daughter went out of town, and me and my son stayed home.Ifigured I would get afire in it by sunday.It was so cold today that i didn't even bother working on it.So Me and my son went out to eat, and got a new game for the wii and played it.
Maybe tomorrow will be more productive. :thumbup:
I call that "buddy" time.  :thumbup:

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »

Kool Build..... Ive read all the post today.......  Ive been looking for some pipe to build me one.......  Have you been keeping up with the amount of HOURS/DAYS you have in it.......    Post wise has been since Oct 1..... :post:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21