Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 130760 times)

bikeralan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #195 on: January 20, 2011, 02:44:03 AM »

Glad you got the boiler on line!! As a kid my dad used a big fuel oil space heater and it clogged up 3 or 4 times filling the whole house with soot.
Fast forward a few decades my job was a truck driver delivering powerline poles, it had a loader on top of the truck and when the wind would get just right the exhaust would get you, same smell as that damn heater, it would make me barf lol, so I know your plight it is a terrible smell.
Now you can insulate your garage and have a huge man cave!
Great job! all we need now are a few pics of the boiler in action!

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 20, 2011, 08:01:09 PM »

Thanks for all the well wishes guys.was definitely a scary moment the other morning.did give the wife an exscuse to repaint the whole dang house.we went color shopping after work.I did get a few pics tonight before it got dark on me.plus shot a video of it running for you guys.I just got it started to upload.said it had 140 minutes Togo.lol!so maybe it will be loaded by tomorrow. Going to be real busy for the next few days.so I will get the pics loaded sometime.
on my heat exchanger I couldn't get the dangcopper fitting to seal up when isweated them on.I had them off 3 times recleaned and flux. But no dice.broke down and got a Mapp gas torch and new fittings.soldered up fine then.the heat exchanger was just sucking to much heat from the joint to make a good joint.catch ya guys later.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2011, 03:31:57 AM »

Here is a quick video of the boiler up and running for you guys to check out. :thumbup: Gasification OWB fired up and running
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2011, 05:08:32 AM »

Very fine looking job! Your finished product is impressive and the craftmanship is number 1. You have not just made a OWB you have made a work of art!

I am however, still not a fan of your underground line. I had it, it failed after three years for me. It worked fine until (i think what happened) a small stone or something worked it's way through the outer tile and let water in. Once water got in there the inuslation value of the wrapping went to about 0 and you could see the trench in the middle of winter. no snow and soft ground.

Again, your stove looks and runs great in your video! I hope your pipe lasts for you better than it did me.
I am not sure how much a non perferated second  tile large enough to put your underground line in may cost, but it may be worth it to try and keep moisture away from your lines or in the worst case scenerio you could retrieve the line you now have and pull through a new one in case of failure in the future. Or you can be like me and go through the whole "dig up the old one with the backhoe and start over again" routine

Wonderful video and happy burning!
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2011, 07:24:07 AM »

:thumbup:
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

lawrencep

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2011, 08:31:07 AM »

that is awsome its always great to see a long hard project pay off great job.

koutsman

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »

Great job!!!   I can tell your son sure is proud of his daddy!!!   Now you and your family can sit back and relax and enjoy the heat (especially today). Oh yea but not till after the house is repainted. Right???   Again, Great job!!!
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

Jbuck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »

Ok jackel440, now that you have it up and running I am concerned you will become bored, so in an effort to help you out, if you will send me a materials list I'll load up my trailer and head your way and you can build me one just like it LOL.  All kidding aside I am very impressed with your fabrication skill, while I can weld well enough to keep my old farm equipment patched together I have never been good at designing and fabrication.  Off subject, was that an old Plymouth I saw in your shop in one of the photos of the build? If so and considering the 440 in your user name I would bet your a Mo-Par guy.  Enjoy that boy, while I,m 6'3'' and 260 lbs. I have to lookl up to mine now and he can't even think about fitting into my coveralls anymore.  Once again congrats on the completion.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2011, 12:38:30 PM »

there is nothing but Mopar on this property  >:D
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »

Ok jackel440, now that you have it up and running I am concerned you will become bored, so in an effort to help you out, if you will send me a materials list I'll load up my trailer and head your way and you can build me one just like it LOL.  All kidding aside I am very impressed with your fabrication skill, while I can weld well enough to keep my old farm equipment patched together I have never been good at designing and fabrication.  Off subject, was that an old Plymouth I saw in your shop in one of the photos of the build? If so and considering the 440 in your user name I would bet your a Mo-Par guy.  Enjoy that boy, while I,m 6'3'' and 260 lbs. I have to lookl up to mine now and he can't even think about fitting into my coveralls anymore.  Once again congrats on the completion.

Well I appreciate your concern for my boredom. ;)I want you to rest assured I have already started to brainstorm a little on a nice log splitter for my operation here. ;D
As far as a material list I have a stack of half burned up prints that I made somewhere in the shop that you could try to decipher.LOL!
You could probably buy 2 new ones for what I would have to charge you labor for one.LOL Plus I don't think you would like the 5 month lead time. :bash:
I thank you for the compliments on my fabbing.I am by no means the best ,but I do a decent job that I am not afraid to take to the fair.I do fabrication at work everyday.I am a millwright by trade so I love what I do.
Yeah my son warmed my heart yesterday.He told me that he is writing a paper in school about his 3 favorite things and I am one of them.Next to the Wii and his nerf gun,but (not in a particular order). ^-^
Yeah I am a mopar man.I love the fact I get to work at Chrysler and then play with them at home.
Now there is 2 cars sitting in the shop.A 68' Coronet 440 ,but I believe you are talking about the white one.
That is a 1960 Desoto Fireflite with a 361 and the push button automatic.
Thanks again for following along.Now there is going to be some more pics and another video to come so come back and check in.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »

Hey Jackel, I will spare you building a stove  just like that one................ I will however come get yours as I notice it is already on wheels for me.LOL!!!Great job and make sure you get that shop heated for next year.

jenkinswt

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »

Nice video Jackel. This has been a awesome write up and I believe if someone was wanting to build this they could get alot of their information off this thread.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2011, 06:58:07 PM »

Ok here is the video of me moving it out of the shop.Thought maybe you guys might like seeing how I did it.My wife made a bunch of short videos and I had to splice them together so that's why it is choppy.Anyways her you go ;)
LPK-440 leaving shop.wmv
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
update on how she is running
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2011, 07:13:25 PM »

Ok we have been up and running for a week now,and I have to say I am quite exstatic about how it is working!We have gotten a 24 hour burn from her .Our temps were in the teens last night and in the mid 20's today.I loaded her full yesterday at around 5:30-6:00 pm.Son and I went out to her today at around 5:45pm to see what we had left in the firebox.I had about 3 or four pieces mostly burned up.So we loaded her back up ,and shut the door.Turned on the blower and the controller kicked on.We let it light up for a little bit.I then decided to open the blast gate to see what kind of flame i might see in the gas chamber.The window was lit up like I was looking at the sun!
Never had that intense of a fire in the gas chamber yet.I could see the gas burning coming through the floor slots ,but not flame filling up the entire burn tunnel until tonight.I came to the conclusion with my son that the firebrick has finally dried and cured.The refractory was glowing.
I checked the guage for the thermocouple in the gas chamber and it made it almost to 1300*!!! before the controller shut down the furnace as the water temp had came to the set point.
I made a video of what we had witnessed tonight.You can see the flame shooting out of the hole in the front baffle when we open the door.I have not had that happen until today.I have gotten heat out of there and had ash fly out ,but never flame!I have to say it was quite impressive to see it really maxing out during the gasification burn.I have to say I am one proud pappa!LMAO! >:D
Gasification chamber burn and temperature
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »

Awesome! I know when I have let fire go out and refired the unit. that it takes awhile to get full gasification, I supppose because the brick needs to build up heat.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21