Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 129411 times)

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »

Never thought of that! I'll be watching what I say for sure.

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2011, 08:15:04 AM »

In all your research is it better to have the back wall of the fire box in water or dry??      I got a good price on 1/4 steel yesterday Ive got to finish designing my owb..  Im not building a gasification unit.....I found 1/4 4x8 for 190 and 1/4 4x10 for 230 a sheet..... not bad about 1/2 price of anybody else and they wil break it also.....Off to the drawing board...well paper.......

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2011, 09:35:02 AM »

The more water you have surrounding the burn box the more btus you will be using to heat the water.no point in having the back not covered with water.just losing heat if not.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 06, 2011, 05:14:59 AM »

Mornin' Jackel. I was up till after midnight last night reading all your posts and watching the video's. I'll jump on the bandwagon and let you know cool it is that you built your own boiler, especially with the help of your kids and encouragement of your wife. Awesome job! This morning I got up and went way back in the threads and tried to figure out how as best I could how many cubic feet of wood your new baby holds. Looks like it's somewhere between 12 and about 16. I've got a little Empyre Pro Series 100 and it holds about 5 cu. ft. I've got to load it twice a day, sometimes three times, but a face cord still lasts me on average more than 2 weeks. I like everything about it, I just wish my firebox was as big as yours. Once again, awesome job! When my new fab gets out of the prototype stage, I'll have my little brother show me how to post pictures and show ya'll some of my ideas on a gasifier. (My little brother is 6'3'' and 220 and 41 years old- and infinately more wise than me when it comes to electronics).
   Take care,
   Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

cab

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 06, 2011, 07:53:17 AM »

Im not building a gasification unit.....

I think you will regret that greatly....

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 07, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »

Mornin' Jackel. I was up till after midnight last night reading all your posts and watching the video's. I'll jump on the bandwagon and let you know cool it is that you built your own boiler, especially with the help of your kids and encouragement of your wife. Awesome job! This morning I got up and went way back in the threads and tried to figure out how as best I could how many cubic feet of wood your new baby holds. Looks like it's somewhere between 12 and about 16. I've got a little Empyre Pro Series 100 and it holds about 5 cu. ft. I've got to load it twice a day, sometimes three times, but a face cord still lasts me on average more than 2 weeks. I like everything about it, I just wish my firebox was as big as yours. Once again, awesome job! When my new fab gets out of the prototype stage, I'll have my little brother show me how to post pictures and show ya'll some of my ideas on a gasifier. (My little brother is 6'3'' and 220 and 41 years old- and infinately more wise than me when it comes to electronics).
   Take care,
   Marty
Thanks for the compliments!I tried to involve my family were I could.I am glad you got to enjoy and maybe get some ideas from my project.That's why I tried to post alot of pics and share my ideas.
I had a paper with a figure on what the capacity of the firebox was ,but I think it may have burned up on the fab bench at some point in time. ;D
I never got my wood stacked in a good organized fashion so i could get a good feel for how much I was burning.I know it is just sipping the wood.
I used 3 skid loader buckets of wood per week when the temps were down into the single digits.Thats is a 66" low pro bucket and then I split and stacked the rounds that were in the bucket.Now with the temps in the mid 30's to lows in the teens I have been burning a pile stacked on 1 and 1/2 wood pallets about 3' high and that is lasting me for a week.24 hr burns the whole time.
The first thing I would change if I was building from scratch again I would build the door taller.Mine is currently 20"x20" and I would like to see it a little bit taller and wider also.
I look forward to pics of your gasifier.good luck to you on it. :thumbup:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

truecountry

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 07, 2011, 08:19:22 PM »

how did you do math on water in boiler .... you got a nise ass stove and i see u planned it well.. great job

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 08, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »

how did you do math on water in boiler .... you got a nise ass stove and i see u planned it well.. great job
I just took a little time and did alot of math.I figured out the volume of the firebox,and lower gas chamber.Then I found the area for the 6 heat exchanger pipes.I also took into account the fire box opening .Then I subtracted that from the fixed dimension of my water tank.Had to be a little creative due to the angles of the burn chamber ,but all in all it was easy. :thumbup:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 08, 2011, 03:38:02 PM »

Did you ever get a chance to measure your exhaust gas temperature? My goal with mine will be around 250 f. under full gasification. If my metal gets bent and my pipe truck shows up before this weekend I should be able to start welding Sat. morning.
   Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Smakman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 08, 2011, 07:40:42 PM »

I wish you had a copy of all the measurements and materials and such.  I would be willing to pay for that!

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 08, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »

I wish you had a copy of all the measurements and materials and such.  I would be willing to pay for that!
i Had a cut list and prints made up by me.The problem was that I ended up modifying those pieces .So then  it all was custom fit as I went.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 22, 2011, 11:42:58 AM »

Hey Jackel440,
   Where did you find the info to calculate some of the dimensions of your gasification boiler. I'd like to crunch some numbers on a boiler for my heating needs. Some of the info I'd like to calculate would be firebox size, nozzle size, heat excahanger size, how long of a burn and how much wood to raise the temp of "x" amount of water, and etc. There must be some info on this that isn't to far over everyones head.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2011, 05:39:35 PM »

Hey Jackel440,
   Where did you find the info to calculate some of the dimensions of your gasification boiler. I'd like to crunch some numbers on a boiler for my heating needs. Some of the info I'd like to calculate would be firebox size, nozzle size, heat excahanger size, how long of a burn and how much wood to raise the temp of "x" amount of water, and etc. There must be some info on this that isn't to far over everyones head.
There are charts online that you can get the info on the BTU output per each type of wood burnt.I know Willie G. has them or knows where they are at online.I based my firebox size on the other stoves on the market.I just tried to get the most out of my materials.
There is alot of information online about gasification ,theory and design.I would say your best bet is to just start researching all you can find out.The best way to learn is going to be by trial and error.
Now there is no reason to rengineer what has been done by other companys.Study other manufacturers designs and learn from them.They spent the money on R&D might as well learn from it.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 22, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »

I have a ?? about gasification...   This is just a thought....  Would extending the smoke stack pipe down into the ash box work as a gasifer?? Making the ex have to go down throught the fire....  Still brain storming...

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2011, 09:00:58 AM »

I have a ?? about gasification...   This is just a thought....  Would extending the smoke stack pipe down into the ash box work as a gasifer?? Making the ex have to go down throught the fire....  Still brain storming...
you would get. Some burning of the smoke,the issue is you need to introduce air to the secondary burn to get it to burn clean.plus you need to be able tohave the chamber be able to withstand the high temps.so even if you did lower the stack its not going to be a true gasifier.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21