Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 129530 times)

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »

You can get the smoke to burn, but the hard part is recovering some of the gasified heat.I actually introduced super heated air into my old burner just behind the baffle(not water cooled) and I could easily get it to burn the smoke,and my wood consumption went down a bit, but it drove me nuts not being able to recover that extra heat. My stack temps were always in the 800- 1000* range. Although they've never complained, I'm sure my neighbors were very happy when that conversion took place.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Ridgekid

« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:48 AM »

I too enjoyed this post and videos. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 27, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »

I too enjoyed this post and videos. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.
thanks. I wanted to share it with everyone here.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

outback

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »

first let me say looks like A-1 usa work to me. did you keep records of all material bought so you know the total cost of the unit. just wondering how much you save by building your own. less the consumables like gas and air, welding wire etc. . on welding, did you weld both sides of everything or seal one side and stitch the other?? did you use a 80 grade welding wire or a 70 series wire? not sure with that much heat exposure. i would like to build one myself, but i don't know if i have the smarts. very capable of the welding and burning, but the planning is the tough part for me. are you selling a blue print to follow with detailed drawing? the pics you have are great but to me they would be hard to follow. the brain doesn't work as it should so i need pics with numbers. please let me know if something is available. one thing about building your own you get to know how the system works, at least i hope anyway. i can see theres a lot of questions so i'll stop for now.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2011, 06:05:16 PM »

first let me say looks like A-1 usa work to me. did you keep records of all material bought so you know the total cost of the unit. just wondering how much you save by building your own. less the consumables like gas and air, welding wire etc. . on welding, did you weld both sides of everything or seal one side and stitch the other?? did you use a 80 grade welding wire or a 70 series wire? not sure with that much heat exposure. i would like to build one myself, but i don't know if i have the smarts. very capable of the welding and burning, but the planning is the tough part for me. are you selling a blue print to follow with detailed drawing? the pics you have are great but to me they would be hard to follow. the brain doesn't work as it should so i need pics with numbers. please let me know if something is available. one thing about building your own you get to know how the system works, at least i hope anyway. i can see theres a lot of questions so i'll stop for now.
Thanks for the compliments! :thumbup:
I don't have an exact price tally as I got some special deals on my materials.Plus online buys and ebay can be your friend.I do figure I am about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the price of an comparable new manufactured unit. ;D
The burn chamber and gasification chamber and heat exchanger tubes are welded on both sides.The outer tank is welded on both  sides except for the front if i remember correctly.LOL
Everything is welded with 70 series wire.I used approximatly one spool on the whole thing.I did weld some fittings with alloy rod.couple of spots were done with some 7018.
I made my own blue prints but they got modified as I went.Engineering changes on the fly. :o
I did like being able to incorporate my own ideas or improve upon others that are out on the market.I am was able to design and make it easier to be serviced in case of a problem.Being a Millwright I like to plan ahead for when I have to repair things.
My advice to you is if you want to build it go for it.Take your time and do LOTS of research on whats out there and how well each design works.Decide on what you think works and what doesn't work.incorporate your own designs in your build.Make lots of drawings of each part and lay it out and see how each part will affect other aspects of the furnace.
much easier to keep redrawing parts on paper than to rework steel after fabbing something to find out it wont work.
If you have ? just holler and I will help if I can. :thumbup:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »

The smallest Turbo Burn unit is 1349 gallons.  They are all over the US and Canada.  The bigger the tank the more you can heat....etc...pool, greenhouse, shop.  The Turbo burn has been around since the 80's.  Small family owned business.  www.turboburn.net
Seems to me you must be either the owner or a saleman as you have posted this thing on other threads.Your site doesnt give much information other than how much water it holds and a small blower.No information on what kind of materials its made of or firebox size.Looks kind of neat but the cartoon video leaves much to be desired on what it is.I imagine it costs more than I would pay,and I dont believe the claim of it heating all that water on one burn to temp and last for 5 days? ::)
good luk with it :-\
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »

maybe that's because of it being a smaller company??
That is no excuse for a lousy website. It would have been easier to make a decent website than that useless video.
Can you post some pictures of yours? Probably start a new post about it instead of hijacking this one.

Ridgekid

« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »

Better yet ask our moderator to open a forum for your product instead of spamming everyone elses.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »

maybe that's because of it being a smaller company??
That is no excuse for a lousy website. It would have been easier to make a decent website than that useless video.
Can you post some pictures of yours? Probably start a new post about it instead of hijacking this one.
RSI, Ridgekid  my first thought was what does this have to do with this build thread,and the whole point is to not burn oil,gas and such? ???
I was more concerned about the same dang post and link on other threads.I say to you Mr. TurboBurn that you should post about your stove in the general section.I have not ever heard of your company,but I wouldn't mind seeing more details and pics of the stove in your own thread. :thumbup:
I also burn one fire a day and can heat my home for 2 days  on one burn when it is not fridged out.Plus I only have 440 gal. of water.the website lists over 1K gals. on thier stove so I think in my opinion ,I know which one perhaps might be a little more efficient.
Sounds like you love your stove and I am glad you do.It's all about saving yourself money.good luck to you.
And now back to the originally scheduled thread. ;D
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »

I do have a late tid bit of info to post on my gasifier.
The stove seemed to be choking on air flow to the burn chamber.I was getting plenty of air flow to the gas chamber.I thought perhaps I had to much of a coal bed in the burn chamber,as I was having issues with the nozzles pluging with ash on the left side.
I was opening the lower chamber door and pulling any fine ash out.The tunnels seemed to be filling up more than they should as I definately was having an air pressure issue.
The stove was having a hard time coming back to temp after I let it set and the water temp would get to 140*.I would have to open the bypass door and let it burn that way.I figured there was an issue with the air manifold being plugged with creosote.AS I have been burning alot of green wood till now.
So I got a few warm days and shoveled out all the ash in the burn chamber,cleaned all the tunnels in the gas chamber out.I then pulled out the air manifold to check it.Boy did I have some issues with the holes being plugged with creosote. :bash:
I knew when I was making it that it might be a problem in the future.I plasma cut the holes about 1" to 1 1/4" DIA. I think when I made it.
So I took back to the shop and opened up the holes on just the bottom side of the tube.Mainly to help direct the air flow downward toward the coal bed and improve combustion.I didn't get pics of the modified holes hopefully I can get those this summer.
I reinstalled the modified air manifold.Reloaded the furnace up,and lit her off with my special fire starting compound >:D
I have to say now that she is really breathing good now.I haven't had any issues with the gas nozzle plugging with ash.The burn chamber is burning much more complete.I now have my wood load turning to charcoal like it should as the wood burns.I guess now I shall wait untill nxt fall to see how this improvement shall work.
Unless I hook this baby upto the hot tub I might be getting soon ;D
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Ridgekid

« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »

lit her off with my special fire starting compound  >:D

Newspaper Sticks and matches ..Right? Now thats funny I don't care who you are. Git-R-Done! LMAO

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »

lit her off with my special fire starting compound  >:D

Newspaper Sticks and matches ..Right? Now thats funny I don't care who you are. Git-R-Done! LMAO
Actually it is a jug of old oil,gas,desiel,tranny fluid,and kerosene mixed together in a couple of gallons jugs I use to start campfires and other fires >:D
Yeah there is a few sticks and some paper in there too. ;)
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Ridgekid

« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2011, 01:33:39 PM »

Unlike me, you don't have a warranty hanging over your head. Thats a no no with CB.

I feel like a Boy Scout when I have to light mine!

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #253 on: May 12, 2011, 02:52:19 PM »

Negative responses? I said I wanted to see pictures but that they should be a new post, not this one.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 12, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »

Unlike me, you don't have a warranty hanging over your head. Thats a no no with CB.

I feel like a Boy Scout when I have to light mine!
LOL that's funny as I am a Scout leader. ;D
I tell you another great way to light these babys off when thier cold.My buddy does this on his NC Gt500 when he cleans it all out.He will put in his small wood on bottom like normal and then bigger stuff.He then has one of those weed burner torches that he lights and lays inside the burn chamber.He says after about 5 to 10 minutes depending on how wetr the wood is .She takes right off.I will be having my one of those next winter when I am in a hurry to clean her out and restart it. :D
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21